A Work in Progress

Start from the beginning

MJ: You really thought May wouldn't figure it out? I had it figured out that night, so she probably knew what happened as soon as she found out you're Spider-Man.

Ned: mj has a point

Ned: my mom knows things about me that i dont even know about me

Peter: okay yeah i shouldve seen it coming but like i wasnt expecting it tonight yknow?

MJ: You should've. She's smart.

MJ: Probably scared her by almost dying, too.

Ned: yeah that would definitely scare my mom

Peter: i didnt almost die! ive gotten closer to dying than that!

MJ: The fact that you have more than one near-death experience is concerning in and of itself.

Ned: wait how many of those DO you have

Peter: i mean

Peter: well

Peter: i dont like the topic of this conversation so imma go to bed

MJ: You can't escape us, Parker.

Ned: we're all around you

Peter: i hate both of you and if i have nightmares because of this i'm swinging all the way over there to get payback

MJ: Who says we aren't there with you?

Ned: outside your window

MJ: Or inside the penthouse.

Ned: watching

MJ: Waiting.

Peter: first of all you can't be outside the window of the 59th floor

Peter: second of all you guys are creepy and i'm gonna sleep

MJ: Good night, Parker. Don't die.

Ned: sweet dreams!

Peter: g'night guys!

Peter: send me the hw too pls

Somehow, talking about May only makes Peter feel more guilty about everything he hid from her. He knows he has to fix it.

It isn't too long after he puts his phone away and lies down that he hears footsteps from outside his room. The footsteps stop outside his door, but he doesn't move. His Spidey Sense hasn't reacted. The door slowly creaks open, causing dim light to stream into the room.

"F.R.I.D.A.Y., how are Peter's vitals?" Tony's hushed voice reaches Peter's ears. Is Mr. Stark checking in on me?

"They're all gucci, Boss." Peter has to force himself not to laugh in order not to blow his cover.

"I'm rewiring you tomorrow," Tony halfheartedly threatens. Peter can hear his deep sigh. "How am I gonna survive this kid..." he wonders aloud, his tone somewhat fond. Stressed, but fond. It catches Peter off guard, but he doesn't get much time to ponder it before the door closes again, the light disappearing with Tony. Peter supposes there would be a metaphor there if he wasn't so tired. Instead of searching for it, he slowly drifts to sleep.

Morning comes all too fast and Peter wakes up with a headache. It's not quite migraine levels of pain, but it's enough to make him groan before he even opens his eyes. Usually his sensory overloads lead to migraines the next day, so he's grateful for just the headache. However, the pain in his head is nothing compared to the pressure in his chest. One less person is alive because of me. A kid lost his mom because of me. He takes a deep breath to calm his erratic heart and racing thoughts.