Running Away To Home

Start from the beginning

FP saw that she was still trembling from the cold so he gave her a pair of clean socks. She carefully slid the way too oversized wollen socks over her dirty, tiny feet. She felt better almost instantly.

"Weren't you with your aunt and uncle in L.A?'' He asked confused. Alice sighed and looked at him with tears in her eyes. He kept on rocking the little boy in his arms.

''Is that what they told everyone?'' She asked softly.

He nodded, not knowing what he was about to hear.

''Tell me the real story, Al. You don't seem okay. And who is the little guy?'' Alice wiped away her tears and knew this was the moment she had to come clean to him.

''Hal sent me to the Sisters of Quiet Mercy when he found out I was pregnant. I was meant to hide my pregnancy and give him up for adoption when he was born.'' FP swallowed. That was one of the most horrible things he has ever heard. Alice's face was fixated on her son.

''Damn, Alice. I'm so sorry.'' He whispered, looking at the little man in his arms and then back to her. FP couldn't believe that she had a baby. The boy was still sleeping peacefully.

''When I held him in my arms for the first time yesterday I knew I couldn't do it. I couldn't give him away. So I decided to run. You were the only who came up in my mind to run to.'' Her voice cracked and slowly she allowed the tears to fall again, not caring that FP saw her like this. Actually, he was the only one she trusted right now.

He got closer to her and grabbed her hand. She looked up at him and smiled gratefully. His touch was so sweet and gentle... so different than how Hal touched her.

''Hey, of course. I just can't believe Cooper would ever do this to you and his own child.''

Alice squeezed his hand. ''He didn't.'' She whispered. FP looked more confused by the second.

''The reason Hal wanted me to give the baby up for adoption was because it isn't his kid. It's yours, FP.'' Her voice broke when she spoke those last words. FP looked with disbelief at her and then at the baby who he was still holding in his arms.

Without even saying something he brought his son closer to his chest and kissed the top of his head.

''This little fella is mine?'' He asked with tears in his eyes. Alice smiled trough her tears.

"He really is. He has your eyes.'' He looked at his son again and his son looked back with big brown eyes.

The biggest smile she had ever seen formed on his face. It was as if she had seen him truly happy since she got to know him.

''Hey there little guy, it's your daddy. From now on I promise you to protect you for the rest of your life with everything I have.'' He kissed his little chubby cheeks. Though, FP knew that they had a lot to talk about, as for now all he wanted was to look at the baby boy in his arms. He was a dad. This tiny human was his.

Alice grabbed his hand again and FP gladly accepted the gesture. The boy started to cry again, asking for attention and FP tried to shush him.

"Don't cry, big boy. Don't you know how brave you mommy was this night? Don't you think she deserves a little smile from you?'' He whispered to him.

Alice giggled and for the first time in months she felt relief wash over her. They might not have a lot, but they were going to love their baby the way he deserved. She was positive she had made the right decision by running to him.

"Does he have a name yet?'' FP asked curiously, his eyes sparkling in a way she had never seen before.

Alice nodded. She scooted over and placed herself next to FP, close to his chest and close to their son.