Chapter 18: Vanishing Footprints

The next day came in blur. Pagkatapos ng mga pangyayari kagabi, walang sinuman sa amin ang nag-usap ulit tungkol doon. There wasn't anything that we could do for now; if they wanted me dead, they could've just killed me in the first place—but they didn't. It only meant that they still needed me for something—my purpose hadn't been served yet. I couldn't decide if it's a good thing or not—knowing that my security was still at stake here.

Nang makarating ako sa kampo, nadatnan ko ang mga sundalong naghahanda para sa paglipat ni Juno. Tahimik akong nagmasid sa isang gilid habang ang sampung mga sundalo ay inaalalayan si Juno papasok ng army bus.

Isang makahulugang tingin ang itinapon ni Juno sa akin. Nanatili akong walang reaksyon. Ilang sundalo pa ang sumama at isa-isang sumakay sa naka-abang na army trucks bilang convoy. Sinundan ko lamang sila ng tingin hanggang sa hindi ko na sila matanaw.

"Lt. Everdale, naghihintay ang General sa kanyang opisina," wika ni Officer Jenner sa akin nang makita niya ako. I just nodded and went off to my dad.

"Nabalitaan ko ang bargain mo kay Chairman," Dad said. I noticed the worry in his words, but that wasn't enough to stop me from doing this. Not now, at least.

"It's all right, Dad. I can't just let him stomp on me as a soldier," I firmly said. The Chairman should know his place, and I couldn't prove anything if I won't do his bidding.

"The Special Action Force has arrived today. Capt. Delrio will be in-charge of your training."

"Don't worry, Dad. I'm tougher than what you think." I gave him a reassuring smile. This battle was between the Chairman and I. Hindi ko hahayaang makialam si Daddy dito. Sapat na ang gulong naidulot ng pagbabalik ko.

"Just focus on Mom's case and everything will be alright." I left, giving him a reassuring smile.

They said that the days seemed to be pretty long if you didn't have anything to do. The same applied to me—I still have the remaining hours of this day to myself before I faced a hellish training with the infamous Delrio siblings tomorrow. Some of the other soldiers were giving me heads up about how chauvinistic and strict they could be.

Dahil mahaba-haba pa ang buong maghapon, napili kong magbilang na lamang ng mga supplies sa stock room. Hindi ko naman mahagilap ang presensya nina Terrence at Ex sa loob ng kampo. Marahil ay nasa kani-kanilang pamilya para magpaalam.

Nasa kalagitnaan ako ng pagbibilang nang makarinig ng malakas at nakakabinging alarm.

"CODE RED! CODE RED!"

Nagsimulang magkagulo sa labas. I hurriedly went out to see what's going on. Confused and alarmed, I barely managed to ask somebody from the chaotic crowd of soldiers.

"Ano'ng nangyayari?"

"The transfer was ambushed by an armed group," he immediately responded.

"Sh1t!"

Without any second thought, I grabbed my weapon, hopped on the army truck and joined the back-up troop. Tama ang hinala ni Juno. This was not just a simple transfer—this was his execution. How foolish of me not to trust him wholly.

Pursigido ang mga kalaban na alisin sa landas nila si Juno. They couldn't just leave him alive. This must be their damage control to prevent him from whistleblowing.

"Just a piece of advice, don't trust everybody. You don't know the faces of your real enemies. They're wearing masks behind those trustworthy disguise."

Remembering his words before, I believed Juno knew a lot up to the point that Spidex would meddle in and execute him. He must be a valuable member of that filthy organization.