iii | hunger games look-alike

THE door clicked open exactly two hours and twenty-seven minutes later - footsteps outside alerting her that someone was approaching.

Springing to her feet, she stalked to the door and palmed the dagger she'd slipped back into her boot, crouching beside the door.

She waited as the door swung open, stilling as someone walked into the room. When he paused at the door, she slipped to her feet and crept nearer, before surging ahead, grabbing the man by his hair and yanking his head back as her other hand rested her blade against his throat.

The man yelped, actually shrieked more like, and froze.

From behind her, someone chuckled and spoke, "What is it with you and daggers to the throat?"

She resisted spinning to face Kaz and forced the man she was holding around to face her - dagger still held close to his throat lest he try to run or attack. The man was unfamiliar, eyes wide and limbs visibly trembling.

"Who are you?" she frowned, tilting his chin up with her dagger to inspect his face.

"He's Nathan and he's trying to get you some food. Stop scaring the crap out of the poor guy."

It was then that she noticed Nathan was clutching a tray of food in his trembling hands and she lowered her knife, smiling at him sheepishly as he visibly relaxed and sucked in a deep breath, taking a step back.

Dull brown hair fell to his eyes but he peered through them at her and attempted to smile back, weak as the attempt was.

Spinning to face Kaz, she let out a growl and stalked forward until they were face to face. Well, face to chest considering he towered above her.

Glaring up at him, she tried to ignore the glint of amusement lighting up his hazel eyes and pointed her dagger at him threateningly.

"Why in god's name did you lock me in there, you ass," she growled, and he narrowed his eyes at her.

"You want to join this gang," he stated, tilting his head to stare back down at her in visible annoyance, "then you do what we say, go where we go and kill whoever the fuck Everest wants you to. You're to stay in this room for as long as he wants without complaint and pass a series of tests at the end of the week to determine whether you even get to stay. Maybe then he'll give you a room with a view. Until then, you'll be training along with the rest everyday."

She paused, blinking in surprise, before dissolving into peals of laughter, "What is this? The Triwizard Tournament? This is ridiculous."

He watched her laugh, waiting for her to stop and crossing his arms as she sucked in gulping breaths, trying to calm herself. Behind them, inside the room, Nathan had set down her dinner and shuffled outside - standing as far as he could from Safira's dagger.

"It's one of the best gangs in the country," Kaz finally got a word in, "unfortunately for you, you can't just point a gun at the leader and be invited in with open arms."

"Okay, your highness," she giggled, wiping the corner of her eyes at the tears of mirth that had formed. As Kaz growled in anger at the nickname, she stalked back into the room and collapsed ceremoniously onto the chair, placing both her legs up on the table as she grabbed a piece of bread and chewed on it.

"Tell your glorious leader I'll play his little game. No matter how ridiculous it sounds. Oh, and tell him to get over the gun thing will you - it's not like I shot him."

As Kaz rolled his eyes and stepped forward to shut the door again, she glanced behind him at the cowering Nathan and winked, grinning at the guy. "Thanks for the food Nathan," she called out, "sorry I almost killed you."

EverestOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara