Chapter 20: A Gem in the Rough

To succeed in the upcoming 'Unit Cup', a pair of students would not only need to have a perfect level of harmony, but they must also successfully execute a dual Special Appeal; something much easier said than done.

'Starlight Spectacle' was the most notorious appeal in the world of Aikatsu for its difficulty. Requiring both idols to initiate it together, any attempt without complete synchronicity would result in the ASI collapsing on itself, returning the stage to its real form and transforming the idols back to their normal clothes. In addition to this, even if the idols seemed to meet these requirements it was possible that upon initiating the appeal, the idols could accidentally perform their own solo appeals instead. Successfully achieving the appeal was not without challenges and for some idol units it was easy, for others...

"Akira-sweetie and Hana-sweetie, it is your turn for practice," Setsuna called out. In order to get their newly established units prepared for the competition, the academy cancelled regular classes, opting to make this event the final exam for the summer. In place of classes, the academy organised special workshops to help these pairs deepen their bonds and perform as a coherent unit.

Akira and Hana sat next to each other in the auditorium seats, though their lack of communication could convince others they were complete strangers and not partners.

"Right, coming," Hana answered. The auditorium was mostly empty, save for a few other first-year units wanting to improve their abilities. Hana looked around to see Miyuki and Tori also in attendance, sitting further up the front near the supervising teachers; Setsuna Yasoku and Waka Akemi. As Hana rose from her seat she turned to Akira, ready to practice together. "Ready?" she asked, extending her hand out to the blonde idol. Akira stood up from her seat and walked past Hana, heading straight to the stage herself. Hana exhaled with defeat.

For some reason, Akira's attitude towards Hana changed the day of the 'Unit Cup' announcement. Suddenly, it was as if Hana was Akira's mortal enemy or a hated rival. Akira would still give it her all in practice classes much like the one they were in, but once they were done together, Hana was invisible to Akira.

"Have you two decided on a unit name yet?" Waka asked, checking off certain details from her checklist.

"Um, no not yet," Hana said weakly as she stood on stage next to Akira.

"We haven't spoken about it," Akira said.

"We haven't spoken at all..." Hana whispered under her breath.

"Well, I suggest you two pick up your act. The tournament is in one week and I am sure you are both aware that you will need to utilise that time most efficiently to have a chance at winning," Waka explained.

"Yes ma'am," Hana answered quickly, she wasn't used to Waka's strictness, actually pitying Akira for having to endure it all the time.

"Anyways sweeties, these workshops are designed to practice your performing skills together and allow us to guide you on where you need to improve," Setsuna informed. "Although, as two of the best first-year students, I'm certain you'll succeed."

"We won't let you down, right Hana?" this was the first time Akira had really addressed Hana but still it was as if she was talking through her and not to her.

"R-right." The two swiftly went backstage and found themselves at the dressing rooms, the shining mosaic doors standing before them. "Um, Akira—"

"We need to be able to pull off this appeal, do you think we can do it?"

"I-I don't know, we haven't really practiced. I don't know if I can." Akira scoffed, rolling her eyes in the process.

"Let's just do it and get it over with then." Akira pulled out her set of Aikatsu cards bearing her 'Purple Glitter Coord'. Hana did the same, revealing her school dress; the 'Pink Glitter Coord'. While these coords weren't necessarily going to be the ones they would perform in, it made it easier for them to practice in coords that shared similar designs and themes.