Chapter 6: Under the Spotlight

It was a fine day at Top Star Academy, the month of May had just over a week to go and the promise of summer was on everyone's mind. However, for Akira Toyaku, the summer deadline was more concerning than exciting. She sat in her homeroom listening to her teacher's lecture on the history of idols but in the back of her mind, a nagging thought continued to eat away at her focus.

"Miss Toyaku?" the teacher called. Akira looked up, her lavender eyes blinking her back to reality. All the students were gone; class was finished for the day. "You seem distracted." Akira's homeroom teacher was a prim and proper lady, with a slick top-knot and piercing chocolate eyes set behind posh glasses.

"I'm sorry Ms. Akemi, I'm just waiting on confirmation from something," Akira explained. The teacher pursed her lips, straightened her glasses and made her way to Akira's desk.

"And what could be so important that it removes your attention from my class?" The teacher's stare was cold and overwhelming, a wicked oppressive atmosphere protruded from her gaze. Akira liked her teacher, she was thorough and intellectual but unlike her friends instructors; Akira's teacher was scary.

"I'm waiting to hear if I made the shortlist for the 'Gorgeous Glamour' brand ambassador audition. I've been working hard to get it, ever since I started here. I've already made it through three waves of the audition process and the finalists were supposed to be announced this morning," she explained, taking a short breath. "But I haven't heard anything." Akira traditionally had a mature and confident personality, but this was one of the few times she lacked a fire in her presence. Her teacher noticed, but with a cold shoulder, turned away towards her desk, reaching into her handbag.

"Miss Toyaku, as you're only a student at the academy, and not yet an independent idol; all your audition information is passed through the school faculty. I was hoping to surprise you with this, but alas, here we are." The teacher pulled out a light purple envelope with a fancy fuchsia wax seal. On the front of the letter was a label with Akira's name. The teacher placed the letter firmly on Akira's desk, remaining total eye contact. "This arrived for you this morning, I believe you're expecting it." With trembling hands, Akira gently tore the letter open in front of her teacher, carefully reading the letter in its entirety:

'Congratulations. You have been selected as a finalist to become a brand ambassador with 'Gorgeous Glamour'. Please RSVP as soon as possible to secure your meeting with brand creator and top designer; Yvonne Hitoru.'

Akira's eyes widened as she squealed with delight, leaping from her chair. Without realising it, she had hugged her teacher as she left the room, leaving the refined woman, slightly frazzled. As she left the classroom, Akira began dialling the number on the letter, having to stop so she wouldn't shake from excitement as much.

"Hello?" a raspy feminine voice answered

"Hello, Ms. Hitoru?"

"Speaking." Akira had never personally met the creator of her favourite brand but was aware of her strictly professional reputation.

"My name is Akira Toyaku, I am calling to respond to my letter of acceptance--"

"You certainly took your time," she fired back, cutting Akira off. "All the other finalists called back immediately this morning; you are the last to respond."

"Oh, I only just received my letter now," Akira tried to explain.

"Well that is not my problem, dear. Nonetheless, your appointment is tonight at eight, I trust you won't be late?" Akira froze still. Top Star Academy had a strict curfew policy, the only way an idol could be out that late was if she had approved work from the academy; and it was too short notice to apply now.