Chapter 19-- Evan

"You're coming with me," my dad said, grabbing the keys off of the coffee table.

    "Okay, but where are we going?" I honestly didn't want to go anywhere but I didn't think I had much say in the matter. I didn't feel like pushing my luck.

    "We're going to car dealers. I want to look at trading in my car."

    My dad's 2014 silver KIA was still in prime condition. He always kept the inside clean and I don't think I'd ever seen even the smallest scratch on the surface. "Why do you want to trade your car in? It works just fine."

    "Because I can. There's nothing wrong with changing things up a bit so go get in the car."

    My father; the man who resented anything remotely close to change. I knew better than to question him so I did what I was told.

    The drive to the dealership was exactly like it always is; one of my dad's CDs playing loud enough to shake the vehicle, the two of us singing along at the top of our lungs. My dad cussed out a few of the traffic lights, ran some of the others. When we finally arrived, I was surrounded by cars on all sides. Black trucks at least three times my height, little red cars that looked like they should belong to a clown in a circus.

    "Are you sure you want to trade in the car?" I asked over the music.

    "I'm just looking into it today. I'm not doing anything for sure yet."

"Okay." We got out of the car and I followed my dad into one of the buildings, pulling out my phone. I texted Chanse and the placed an earbud in my ear.

E: Hey baby, what's up?

Her response came quickly, but her haste had stopped surprising me long ago.

C: Nothing much. Just watching TV. You?

E: At the car dealers. My dad wants to look into trading in his car.

C: Really? But his car is in, like, perfect condition. Why's he trading it in?

I laughed.

E: That's exactly what I told him. But you know how he gets when he has his mind made up.

C: That's true. Well if he does trade his in I hope he gets a good one as a replacement.

E: Yeah, I agree. Hey, I was wondering if you would be willing to do something with me.

C: Of course, what is it?

E: Well, I've been thinking about going back to see my mom. I was hoping you'd come with me. It just feels easier.

C: Of course I'll go with you, Evan.

    E: Thank you. It means a lot.

    C: Of course. When were you planning on going?

    E: How about tomorrow?

    C: That's pretty soon but I think I can work it out with my parents. What time?

    E: How about noon?

    C: That works for me.

    I was about to type a response when I heard my dad shout my name through my earbuds. Quickly, I pulled one of them out and called back, "Yeah?"

    "Come check out this car. It might be good enough, what do you think?"

    I sighed as I took out both of the earbuds, paused my music, and made my way toward where he was standing. Beside him was a white 2017 Honda Civic. I could see the inside from where I was and could see leather seats, seat warmers, and a fancy control panel that, no matter how long we drove in it, my dad and I would never figure out what all of the buttons do. It was just as new looking as our KIA, a shiny surface without a single noticeable blemish. I definitely liked it, though it would be hard to get used to any other car but the one we'd had for years.