Chapter 7

Between lunch and fifth period, while I was on my way to my locker, Seb found me in the hallway. He was one of Evan's friends, but he and I talked a lot. I was friends with him and his buddies, not exactly including Evan himself. My earbuds were in my ears, so I didn't know he was trying to get my attention until I felt his hand tapping-- more like slapping-- my shoulder.

            "What's up, Seb?" I asked, taking an earbud out.

            "The guys and I were wondering if you wanted to come to the arcade with us. Julia's going so you won't be alone," he said as Julia arrived beside him, putting an arm around his waist. Julia had started dating Seb about 2 months ago, but she had long since been one of the guys. She would go target-practicing with him and share in a drink or two, but none of them forgot she was still a girl.

            "When are you going?" I asked, taking the other earbud out of my ear.

            "Now."

            I stopped. "Wait, now? As in during school?"

            Seb just laughed. "If you'd rather stick around here, you can. But there's a sub in Ms. Rayburn's."

            I looked at Julia, not sure what to say, but she just shrugged.

            "Sure," I said, though I wasn't entirely, "just let me grab my stuff."  

            "Okay," he replied, turning to leave. "Meet us at Julia's car in the lot by the football field. You can't miss it."

            "Got it," I said, but Seb and Julia had already disappeared down the hall.

            I put my class books away, grabbed my bag, and headed toward the gymnasium and out the side door.

            Seb was right, I couldn't have missed it if I tried. There was a bright green jeep in the middle of the parking lot that was haphazardly parked across two spaces. The stereo was playing so loudly I could hear it from where I was and the entire vehicle was vibrating in time to the bass.

            I crossed the parking lot and opened the door to the backseat. Something In Your Mouth by Nickelback was playing and a few were singing along. Julia was in the driver's seat with Seb in the passenger's. Creed was in the seat furthest from me, Bash was in the middle, and there was a fifth person sitting closest to me. I couldn't tell who it was because he was facing the opposite direction.

            "Sorry, C, but you're going to have to sit with Vin. There're no more seats."

            "Vin...?"

            When I said his name he turned around. I felt dizzy and nearly lost my balance. I should have known Ven was short for Vince.

            "Hey Chanse," Vince said with a smile.

            I looked at Seb who had a smirk on his lips. "You sure there's nowhere else?"

            "Not unless you want to sit in the trunk." The other guys were starting to laugh and, to preserve what respect I had with these guys, I climbed onto Vince's lap and shut the door.

            "And we're off!" Everyone in the car whooped but I just sat there in silence, too embarrassed to be able to say anything.

            "You comfortable, Chanse?" Vince asked. He wrapped his arms around my stomach and I shuddered at his touch.

            "Quite so," I said awkwardly. Creed and Bash laughed.

            "Everything okay, C?" Bask teased.