Chapter 17

"So, you'll be going to class for the first time since everything happened after this?"

"Yeah, that's true."

"And how does that make you feel?"

I hated going to these counseling sessions, but I had no choice. Still, when Jane got to "touchy" it bothered me. Like right now. "I am nervous, obviously. A little scared. I know everyone must know about what happened by now and I'm scared of what everyone's going to be saying about me. I'm scared to face them.

"Are you going to be okay?" Jane asked.

Of course, she had to ask that. "Yes, I will be okay. My boyfriend, Evan, is going to be meeting me before I go into school, so I know he'll take care of me." It felt so good to say that; my boyfriend.

"Well, that takes us to the end of our time. I'll see you on Thursday for your next appointment. You'll have to tell me how things go." She said the last part with a bright smile that I forced myself to return. I really couldn't stand her.

"Are you sure you're ready for this?" My mom asked, pulling up to the front of the school. She'd insisted on taking me to school even though I could drive myself and she was late for work. "You can stay out another day if you need to, I won't make you go."

I turned to look her in the eye. "Mom, I'm okay, I promise. I'll be fine, I'm ready to go back." The last part was a lie, but I knew it was what she wanted to hear.

"Okay, sweetie," she said tentatively. "But drive home if you need to. Your dad parked your car in the parking lot this morning."

"Okay, I will, mom," I said reassuringly. "Have a good day."

"You, too." She kissed me on the cheek before I got out of the car. I walked toward the school, waiting until I knew my mom was out of sight to stop. An overwhelming sense of dread swept over me and I found it hard to breathe. I was even more scared than I thought I would be. Evan emerged from one of the doors, looking around until he spotted me. He jogged to me and pulled me into a hug, kissing me before asking me if I was okay.

"I could be worse," I said honestly with a nervous laugh. "Honestly? I'm absolutely terrified."

"Don't worry, baby, everything will be fine. I've got your back and I'm not gonna let anyone mess with my girl."

My cheeks flushed. I hoped I never got used to him calling me "his". "I trust you. You're gonna help me do this?"

"I will never leave your side. I will always have your back, Chanse." His promise gave me a small burst of confidence and I took a shaky breath as the bell rang to signify the end of first period.

"Then let's do this."

We walked into the building, hand in hand, and immediately I could feel eyes on us, raising my anxiety. A few people were already whispering. I tried my best to ignore them. I knew Evan saw them, too. I had almost made it to my second-period class without confrontation when Vince appeared. He was staggering a little as he moved in front of us and I could tell he had a hangover, probably from some blow-out last night where he'd gotten wasted. Evan's body tenses and I could see the anger I was so familiar with residing in his eyes.

"So, you're with him now," Vince stated, eyeing Evan. "I've got to say, Chanse, you definitely traded down. I mean, dating the arsonist's son? I thought you would have been smarter than that. He's just going to cause trouble. Come back to me, I promise I'll forgive you for everything--"

He reached for my hand but Evan stopped him before he even got close to me. "Stay away from her. She's mine. I'm not gonna let you or anyone else fuck with her."

I looked from Evan to Vince, the difference between spite and indifference. I was scared of Evan losing his temper, especially on my behalf. I was also scared of what he would do to Vince if he crossed a line that he couldn't come back from.

"Please, leave it alone," I pleaded with Evan, wrapping my arm around his. "He's not worth it, just let it go. I'm fine, I promise."

He looked at me and immediately his gaze softened. "Are you sure? Because I could totally take this guy." He glared at Vince and I moved his chin so that he was looking at me again.

"I'm positive. Come on, walk me the rest of the way?"

"Of course, babe," he replied with a smile, nuzzling his face into my neck which made me smile as well.

I walked into my classroom after saying a quick goodbye to Evan (he promised to meet me right after class to walk with me and see how things went). People gave me strange looks as I took my seat. I heard a few people whispering, though I only caught part of the conversations.

"I heard she overdosed on drugs--"

"Attention seeker--"

"What could have even caused her--"

I placed my earbuds in my ears and pressed play. I didn't need to hear what everyone was saying, nor did I want to. I texted Evan; "People still talking. Got my earbuds in, though. Can't hear the haters! :)"

He responded within moments. "Good for you baby! Let me know if I need to come and put people in their place, though."

His effort was sweet and it made me smile, but I also knew this was something I had to face on my own. I couldn't always have him fighting my battles for me.

Seven agonizing hours later, school was finally dismissed. I met up with Evan shortly after the bell rang, once I had collected my things. The hallways were teeming with people on their way to busses, the front of the school, and meetings with teachers. He scared me from behind by putting his hands around my waist.

"Was the day as bad as you thought it would be?"

"Although it wasn't great, no, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be." I smiled at him.

"Good, I'm glad. So, your place this afternoon?"

"I have to ask my mom." I thought it was stupid that I had to seek her permission to do things like having people over at the house, but I had promised I would be completely honest. "I have to be completely open with her, sorry. But hopefully, she'll say yes."

"Hopefully." He grinned and kissed me as we reached my car. Quickly, the kiss deepened. He moved so that I was between him and the car door. I could feel his tongue pressing at the edge of my lips, asking for permission to enter. I tentatively granted entrance. I'd never french-kissed anyone, but with him, it felt like the most natural thing in the world. Still, we were human, so we needed to breathe. Reluctantly, I broke the kiss but left my forehead pressed again, our heavy breaths mixing.

"I really hope she says yes," he said breathlessly.

"Oh, I need to text and ask her!" I moved from my place against the car door a paced a few steps while I texted my mom. "Okay, I asked her. She shouldn't take long to respond, so we'll just hang here until she does."

By now, most of the people had cleared out of the parking lot. There were still a few hanging around talking or putting things into their car in preparation to leave. I opened my door and tossed my things into the passenger seat just as I felt a buzz in my pocket.

"My mom responded," I announced, opening the text. It read; "Be thankful I happened to get off of work early today. He can come over, but the living room only."

"What did she say?"

"Good news," I answered, tossing my phone into the passenger seat after thanking my mom. "You can come over. But she said specifically that you're only allowed in the living room. I have a feeling she'll be there with us as some kind of creepy parent chaperone."

Evan laughed. "I can live with that. As long as I get to spend time with my girl, I'm good."

He leaned in and kissed me again but I quickly broke it. "We've got to get going, mister. No distracting me while driving." I wiggled my finger in front of his face teasingly.

"Ma'am, yes ma'am!" He did a mock salute and I just laughed.

"Get in the car, dork."