Chapter 5--Chanse

I don't know how he did it, but somehow, after the bell had dismissed us and I was in the parking lot, Vince still managed to find me. I had opened the door and was throwing my stuff into the back seat, and there he was. It was like he had appeared out of nowhere.

"So, where are we going?" I jumped and hit my head on the edge of the car door frame. That's gonna leave a bruise, I thought, massaging it. Making sure I was out of the car this time, I turned around to find a rather embarrassed Vince.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. Is your head okay?" He reached out to try and touch my forehead, but I stepped out of range of his still extending hand. A flash of regret went through his eyes and he dropped his hand.

"Well, I'm gonna go now," I said, turning away from him. I had only taken a step when I felt his hand on my shoulder and froze.

"Please," he said, his voice quiet, "let me come with you? I won't cause any trouble. Please?"

I sighed and opened my mouth to say something, but before I could, I hear the sound of someone else behind me and felt Vince's hand being yanked off of my shoulder. Turning around, I saw who had arrived. Evan was standing there, Vince's wrist firm in his grip, his eyes blazing.

"What the hell are you doing, man?" Evan asked, his voice loud and laced with anger. My stomach filled with dread and I started to feel a little sick.

"We were just talking," Vince replied evenly. He was trying to keep his cool, but I could tell from the slight trembles in his hands that he was afraid.

"Talking my ass," he spat, "That's not what it looked like to me." Evan's grip visibly tightened and Vince winced.

"Evan stop, you're hurting him." My voice was weak, but I was surprised I was able to say anything at all.

Recognition swept across his face and he quickly dropped Vince's hand, who then proceeded to rub the spot that was sure to bruise in a few hours.

"Chanse and I were just leaving," Vince mumbled.

"Actually, Chanse and I are leaving," Evan shot back, crossing over to stand beside me. He put his arm over my shoulder. "We have plans." My heart did a backflip.

I have to admit, even after what just happened, it felt good to be this close to Evan, to have his arm around me.

Vince sighed but didn't say anything in response. He didn't move either. It took me a second, but I figured out that he was waiting for us to actually leave together. Evan looked at me, so I flicked my eyes from him to the car and back again, hoping he would get the message. He must have understood because he walked around to the other side and got in the passenger seat. I looked at Vince one more time before getting into the car as well. Once he had gone, I let out a breath I hadn't known I was holding.

"You didn't have to do that," I said. "But thank you," I added.

"No problem," he said.

"So, I guess you could get out if you want to. He's gone." I didn't bother to try and hide the disappointment in my voice.

He waited a moment before surprising me with his response.

"Nah, let's go do something."
"Really?" I asked. "Are you sure? You don't have anything else you need to do?"

Confliction showed in his eyes and I thought for sure he'd change his mind and get out of the car.