Chapter 2

When Shawn pulled into an abandoned park, my confusion was only added to. Shawn cut the engine and the radio turned off, making me glare at him.

"Hey! I liked that song." I frowned and looked out my window. "Where are we, anyway?"

"It's a place I like to go when I want to get away from things. It's actually a pretty cool." We got out of the car and I realized that the park wasn't as bad as it first appeared. There was an old swing set off to the right that had long since begun rusting. There was a couple of benches scattered throughout and an old wooden box built from the ground. I assumed it used to be a sandbox, but it was home only to weeds and stray pieces of mulch and rock now. A trail led into the woods on the far end of the park.

"It's a nice spot, I'll give you that."

He walked to a nearby bench and sat, putting his feet up as if he'd done it a thousand times before. He motioned for me to sit and I complied. It was cold and stiff, but had a comfort to it, too. I took a deep breath and the smell of pine and damp wood filled my nostrils.

"So, you like Evan?" It wasn't as much of a question as it was a statement. I nodded.

"And he doesn't like you back?"

I nodded. "He's closed off, and he won't let me in. Or anyone, for that matter. Every time I think I'm close to him, bam, he's closed off again."

"Hm." It was his turn to nod.

"Everyone's telling me that he's not worth the time and effort; that he's a lost cause."

"What do you think? Is he?" His face was despondent, but I didn't know why.

I knew what my answer was, the trouble was putting it into words. "He has the potential to be more than what he is now."

"And you're trying to bring that out in him? The part that you see could be more?"

"Yeah, I guess so. I never really thought about it much. I've just always gone on the spur of the moment, you know? I should probably think it out more, to be honest, especially since it's him we're talking about."
"Isn't that the truth?" Shawn grinned, making me laugh. He had that effect on people. In the most serious of moments, he could lighten the mood and you just couldn't help but relax.

"How about a little distraction? I'm in the mood for a drink and, I don't know about you, but I much prefer the intoxication than the harsh reality of life." I stood and looked at Shawn for agreement. He shook his head.

"You know how I feel about you drinking, Chanse," he said.

I put my hand on my hip. "I'm a big girl, I think I can handle a drink or two. Besides, you drink. Why can't I?"

He sighed. "Alright, you make a good point. Let's go."

Charlie's was one of the most popular, if not the most popular bar in our district. As soon as I walked in, I recognized Will, a guy from my English class, sitting on one of the barstools, a shot glass in front of him. From the looks of his condition, it wasn't his first, either. Shawn and I walked over to the opposite side of the counter and took our seats, a bartender already on his way.

"What can I get you, baby?" I shifted in my seat uncomfortably. Shawn noticed and glared at the bartender.

"A bourbon and tequila mix," Shawn ordered, interrupting the bartender's stare at me.

"I'll have red wine," I added.

"The red wine is on me," a voice spoke behind me. It was unfamiliar, so I turned around. There was a guy who looked to be about my age standing behind me, a small smile on his face. He was wearing a grey t-shirt that hung around him tightly enough to show his muscles with a pair of jeans and Nikes. His hair was brown and was combed lazily on top of his head. He was decent looking, cute even. I smiled at him and gestured to the empty seat beside me. He took it and my stomach started to flutter.