Chapter 18

Team Year Two
February 10th
Gotham City Shopping Center

"Four days." Barbara rolled her eyes. "He gave you four days to find a perfect dress, make hair and makeup appointments, and buy a corsage."

Parker flipped through dress after dress, nodding.

"Unbelievable." Barb was grumpy when she was tired, and today Parker could tell she was exhausted.

Parker selected a court-style yellow dress and held it up. "Maybe after this we should get some coffee?"

Barbara gave her a look. "Can't get coffee here like your butler makes."

That probably meant yes. "Well they just redid the Starbucks on the first level. We could go take some Instagram story pictures so everyone knows that we are aesthetic af."

She cracked a smile. "Let's do it."

Frappuccino for Parker, double cappuccino for Barbara.

"Let's try Macy's," Barbara suggested. "And if you don't like anything there, there's a specialty shop on the top floor that we could try. I haven't been there, though.

Parker nodded.

Dances were always a pain. But Dick liked the social aspect so she went for him. They were very good dancers thanks to their rigorous training, and they always had a fun time trying not to go overboard.

The next store had beautiful winter dresses, but nothing that would work well for a dance. She tried one a few anyway, but Barbara insisted she not get them. Full sleeves were a bad idea at any dance, much to her despair.

Coming out in a navy knee-length dress with toile sleeves, Barbara grimaced. "It's a dance, not ice skating Olympics."

After another look in the mirror, Parker agreed. "I do like it, though."

Barbara gave her another look.

"At least you're blunt today." She returned to change back.

Barbara picked up a masquerade mask. "We haven't had a masquerade in years!"

"Aren't you on the dance committee?"

"Oh, I quit at the end of last semester. I'm too busy." She fiddled with the ribbon. "I'd get a dress just to match this." Barbara dipped her head down, tying the mask onto her face. "What do you think?"

Amused, Parker laughed. "I'd do the Phantom of the Opera thing."

Barbara took out her phone, using the front camera to admire herself. "That's overdone."

"Is it, though?"

Babs thought a moment. "Maybe I just think it is."

Then Parker really looked at her.

All of her training in keeping up appearances could not keep her from gasping out loud. "Oh my god,"

"What?" Barbara asked, startled.

Parker took a deep breath, thinking on her toes. "Maybe it'd be a good idea for my sixteenth birthday with fall." She plastered on a smile and seemed as excited as she could.

Somehow, that satisfied Barbara. "That'd be awesome!"

She ended up buying the mask, and Parker ended up with even more on her mind.

————————————

"Barbara Gordon?" Bruce demanded for the sixth time.