Chapter 8

Team: Year One
June 6th, 20:34
Mount Justice

"Access: Covert, C01."

Parker stumbled into the cave with a stack of large foil pans.

"Access: Robin, B01."

Dick fell in behind her, getting crushed beneath the significant weight.

"Yo, Rob, 'Nali!" Wally called, appearing out of nowhere. "What's this?" He ran to help his team mates.

Seeing the no one else was around, Parker decided on first names. "Bruce had catering for a meeting and accidentally ordered too much. We've got forty pounds of spring rolls and salad."

Wally looked beyond excited. "Merry Christmas to me!" He shouted, taking the first one out of Parker's hands and running away with it.

"Hey, guys." Conner said, running to assist. "Looks like you got your hands full." He grabbed several of the pans.

"Too much food!" Robin sighed.

"Well," the half-kryptonian shrugged. "Wally will be happy." He declared as he attempted a smile.

"Perhaps a little too happy," Kaldur said, Wally and a foil box in tow. "May I ask what these are?"

Parker smiled. "Chinese-American food. It's good. Trust me."

As they set up everything in the kitchen, Zatanna came out. "Look who it is!" She yelled upon seeing Parker. "Happy birthday!"

Parker blushed. "You are actually the first person to remember."

"Girl, it's your birthday and you didn't tell us?!" Raquel looked infuriated.

"Happy birthday, 'Nali!" Megan came up and hugged her from behind, a surprising gesture that caught Parker slightly off guard.

A streak came into view, and Wally looks distraught. "I am the worst person ever! How could I forget?"

Parker laughed. "Guys, it's okay. Really."

"You know," Dick was leaning back against a countertop lazily. "I wanted to come in here and tell you all, but someone forbade me."

"Thank you." Parker said guiltily. "I didn't want to make a big deal of it."

"How old are you?" Asked a curious Conner.

"Fourteen."

"You know what we need?" Artemis suggested. "We are gonna throw you a party."

M'gann looked intrigued. "Yes! How about Saturday?"

"No." Parker laid out. "I don't like parties. And think of these egg rolls as my party. I'm good, seriously."

"Fine." Zatanna agreed. "But I am taking you shopping and you have to go along with it."

"Deal."

For once, it felt good to have the whole team together with no mission. The large group of friends could spend quality time together without having to have a reason. In this way, they could differentiate themselves from the JLA. The YJI was more than just a task-force to save the world; they were a family.

§~§~§~§~§~§

Team: Year One
June 6th, 22:38
Gotham City

"I thought I would never get away." Parker exclaimed, overwhelmed by her friend's chatter and insistences.

The boy stared straight ahead at the waves as he always did. "Is today special or something?"