2D x Reader (Bad Singer Pt 1)

2D didn't know a lot of things: how long to cook toast, how to drive, the difference between water and vodka. But he did know at least two things, how to sing and that he absolutely loved (Y/N). She was the light of his life, the apple of his eye, the...the...some other metaphor for how much he loved her. They'd known each other for a whole year and he adored every second of it. At this point, he thought he knew everything about her: her favorite food, her favorite show, her favorite position. But one morning he came to the striking realization he didn't know everything about her, and when he found out she wasn't all that pleased.

It was a regular morning; 2D woke up to an empty spot on the bed, as (Y/N) usually awoke earlier than him to take a shower or make the two breakfast, so he climbed out of the warm, fluffy sanctuary to look for his girlfriend. He checked the bathroom first, still steamy from her shower, but she wasn't there so he continued his search down to the kitchen. It was there, in that stretch of hall, that he heard the most...horrendous singing he had ever heard. It was off key, it was off tempo, he truly hated it. And when he saw just who it was coming from, his heart dropped a little. (Y/N) was in the kitchen, singing along to the radio with all her heart and she looked...so happy. He felt terrible for hating her singing, for hating anything about her, but even Murdoc sang better than her! Hiding from her view, he pressed his back to the wall and took some time to think. He still loved her, he really did, and this shouldn't change anything about that. And maybe he could give her lessons! Ya, that would be fun, he loves spending time with her.

Smiling at the idea, 2D went into the kitchen with a plan. (Y/N) had her back to him as she sang out, cooking some nice breakfast when he wrapped his arms around her waist. "Morning luv," he whispered into her hair.

This impromptu hug cause (Y/N) to immediately stop singing and yelp, but the moment she realized it was him, she relaxed into his hold and hummed delightedly. "Morning darling, sleep well?"

"Ye," he answered. "Woke up to the smell of a delicious breakfast and...your singing." He didn't pause for long, but (Y/N) had been with 2D long enough to know when he talked about something he wasn't fond of.

"My singing? Did you like it? I know I'm not as good as you, obviously." She chuckled and ran a hand through her hair, then turned the oven off so she could face him. "But...I like doing it."

The blue haired boy gave a soft smile. "It's great that yew like doin it! Cause I want to teach yew how to sing better!" His voice held an excitement he definitely did not see reflected in his girlfriend's eyes.

"Better? I mean, I've tried to get better before. I've taken lots of classes." She looked down and gently broke his hug. "Why...do I need to get better? It's just singing."

2D instantly regretted his delivery, knowing damn well he messed up, though he didn't know how he messed up. "You're perfect just how yew are, luv!" He insisted. "I just thought a few lessons would be fun for some time together."

She met his eyes again. "Why can't we just sing together? Why does it have to be...lessons?" Now it was his turn to look down and she knew the answer right away. "You don't like how I sing...that's it. You hate my voice. Don't you!" She didn't mean to yell, but this was something she always hated about herself. Her voice.

All her life, people told her she shouldn't be singing if she couldn't do it right. But what was right? People sang differently all the time, and if she couldn't keep a pitch, what was the big deal?! She never wanted to sing on stage anyway, just enjoy the music. Tears welled in her eyes as she remembered the countless lessons she had as a child, all her instructors telling her she was tone deaf and there was really nothing they could teach her. She just wanted to enjoy it.

2D didn't know what to say; he had always been honest with her, even about his past girlfriends and flings, but this...he couldn't bring himself to say he hated anything about her even if it was the truth. (Y/N) took a deep breath. "Fine...ya no, it's fine. I'm going for a walk, breakfast is done. Help yourself." With that, she grabbed her jacket and left the apartment without another word, leaving 2D to think about what he knew and didn't know.