ASMR, or, Auditory Shivers Mystify Roommate (Gender Neutral Reader)

Out of all the neighbors (Y/N) had to end up with, they get the creepy silent one. They weren't really neighbors though, more roommates, but their apartment was pretty much cut in half with their rooms on either side. And (Y/N) never saw him other than take out meals. Stuart, the roommate in question, was some kind of work-at-home dude and at first (Y/N) thought the quietness was a cute, awkward quirk of his. Their conversations would never last more than a few minutes before he would hurriedly excuse himself to his room. They used to think they just made him nervous, in a sort of good way, but now they can't help but think he's agoraphobic or something. If that was the case though, why would he share a house with a stranger?

As if the avoidance of conversation wasn't enough, no sound ever came out of his room. (Y/N) rarely had reasons to pass by, but when they did there was literally nothing. No shuffling sounds of movement, no music, hell even no breathing. It thoroughly creeped them out and by now they were debating just moving out. But...they were broke. And whatever this Stu guy did, it sure as hell paid for rent. All (Y/N) had to do was get food.

----

Well, one day, they decide it is time to figure stuff out about this guy. Even if that involves being a little nosy. Stu's taking his usual nightly shower when (Y/N) passes by his room. The bathroom is a little down the hall, and the door is already cracked open. So they just lightly nudge it with their foot. The door silently swings open to a room lit only by the closet light. It's not clean by any means, but not filthy either. They bite their lip and lean out the doorway to look at the bathroom, he's still showering. They take a few steps inside and look around. Mostly just comic books, some clothes on the ground, and a lot of wires leading into the closet. They follow the wires and find a recording set up.

"What the fuck," they mumble and crouch down to look at it better. A laptop is propped up on a stool with a microphone settled a little in front of it. A set of headphones rests on the microphone and there's a recording saved on the computer. Like he was in the middle of editing it. Full of curiosity, (Y/N) sits down by the closet door and puts on the headphones. They're very comfortable around their ears, blocking out any sound from the outside world. They click play and take a listen to whatever Stu was editing.

It's silent for a few seconds before a light clicking starts up. The sound is very quiet but it echoes within (Y/N)'s ears quite pleasantly. It sounds like the microphone is being tapped by something. The clicking is replaced with soft scratching, some unintelligible muttering underneath. (Y/N) closes their eyes and smiles. It's so nice, they end up forgetting they're technically trespassing. It continues like this for some time, (Y/N) loses track rather quickly as the sounds slowly lull them to sleep, just soft noises on top of comfortable muttering. The muttering starts to sound familiar but (Y/N) can't exactly place it with their brain as fuzzy as it is.

A hand taps their shoulder and they flail around, throwing off the headphones as their heart tries performing an Olympic gymnastics routine in their chest. The fuzziness floods out of their head and their eyes focus on Stu. He's looking down at them rather quizzically, their blue hair sticking up from being towel dried, and said towel wrapped around his waist. He doesn't seem upset though, just confused. A gentle smile spreads across his lips and (Y/N)'s heart tries that gymnastics routine again.

"Like what you hear, dove?" His voice is quiet as ever, and still shaky despite his relaxed appearance.

"Ya, uh, shit sorry." (Y/N) stands up to meet his eyes better. "I shouldn't be here, I uh, sorry." They start to leave but he gently grabs their hand.

"It's alright, I could use an opinion actually."

(Y/N) bites their lip again as they look down at their hands then back up to him. "You're less anxious than usual."

Stu chuckles and takes his hand back to rub the back of his neck, one hand still holding up the towel. "I guess I am. Suppose it's easier to talk with you now that you know my little secret." He gestures to the set up in his closet. "It's embarrassing so I usually try not to bother my roommates with it. I'm an ASMR youtuber." He chuckles again, some of the awkwardness coming back as he looks away from them. "I'm also just an awfully anxious bloke in general, not very good with people unfortunately." He glances back to them with a look that's like he's begging them not to be weirded out by the new information.

"That's it?" They find themselves saying then quickly covering their mouth. "Shit, I don't mean it like that. I," they take a steadying breath, "I don't find your hobby, or is it your job, weird. I was more afraid you just didn't like having me as a roommate."

"It's my job," he answers before doing a double take. "What? No, I love having you as my roommate!" He clears his throat and gives an apologetic smile. "Uh, didn't mean to have that little outburst. You're honestly one of the better roommates I've had. You let me do my thing, you do yours, and you have the best taste in food."

(Y/N) bashfully rubs their arm. "Oh, thank you Stu. I could never tell if you actually liked what I got or not cause you always eat in your room."

Stu takes a deep breath and looks down. "I'm sorry about that, I really am. But I'll try to be more social. You deserve that much at least."

"Well," (Y/N) gestures towards the living room, "would you like to watch a movie with me this evening?"

Stu seems to light up at the suggestion. "You, you really want to?" (Y/N) nods and he grins at them. "Yes! Oh shi-" He fumbles with the towel as his excitement almost made him completely expose himself. "Let me get some pants first," he jokes and goes to his closet. "Fuck..." he mumbles then looks back at them. "I have to finish editing this tonight."

(Y/N) looks between him and the living room before going to sit on his bed. "Can I stay with you while you edit? If it means I get to listen to it more, I'd be more than happy to watch."

Stu seems to blush in the dim light and he turns around again. "Of course, just close your eyes for a moment."

(Y/N) laughs and does just that. When he's dressed, they sit on the floor with him and he shows them how he edits the videos, letting them listen to snippets of the audio. As the process goes along, they slowly end up closer to him until both of them are cuddled together in the closet/"recording studio" and (Y/N) starts to fall asleep against Stu's shoulder. They couldn't be comfier and he couldn't be happier.