Nonverbal Spells: Year 6

When Amisty followed blearily after Hermione the next morning, she was immediately greeted with Harry telling them all about how Malfoy had definitely been recruited by You-Know-Who for some huge mission.

"But he was obviously showing off for Parkinson, wasn't he?" Ron butted in before they could reply.

"Well," Hermione wrung her hands, "I don't know. . . It would be like Malfoy to make himself seem more important than he is. . . but that's a big lie to tell. . ."

"Exactly," Harry nodded emphatically.

Amisty nudged him, jerking her head in the direction of several groups whispering and pointing at them.

"It's rude to point," Ron snapped at a new, very small first-year.

The poor boy startled and flushed red, stumbling out of the portrait hole as his friend laughed.

"I love being a sixth year," Ron sighed wistfully. "And we're going to be getting free time this year. Whole periods when we can just sit up here and relax."

"We're going to need that time for studying, Ron!" Hermione scolded.

"Yeah, but not today," Ron countered. "Today's going to be a real doss, I reckon."

"Hold it!" Hermione threw out her arm, stopping a fourth year in his tracks as he struggled to conceal a bright green disk. "Fanged Frisbees are banned, hand it over."

He scowled, handing it over, and ducked under her arm to go join his friends.

"Excellent, I've always wanted one of these," Ron beamed, tugging the Frisbee out of her hands.

Hermione opened up her mouth to reprimand him, but she was cut off by a loud giggle as Lavender Brown sashayed past. She glanced over her shoulder almost shyly, still laughing. Amisty smoothed out her expression before she gagged.

They took their seats in the Great Hall, a cheerful, bright morning greeting them as they ate their breakfast.

"You know, Hagrid was talking to Harry and I about his class. . ." Ron mumbled, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Yeah, he - uh - he thinks we're all taking it again," Harry added.

"But he can't really think we'd continue Care of Magical Creatures!" Hermione exclaimed, looking distraught. "I mean, when has any of us expressed. . . you know. . . any enthusiasm?"

"That's it, though, innit?" Ron replied, swallowing a fried egg in one bite. "We were the ones who made the most effort in classes because we like Hagrid. But he thinks we liked the stupid subject. D'you reckon anyone's going to go on to N.E.W.T.?"

Amisty looked down at her lap.

Once breakfast was finished, they sat waiting for Professor McGonagall to give them their schedules. It was taking a tad longer than expected, considering it had to be confirmed that they were eligible for the N.E.W.T. level classes.

Hermione left as soon as everything was confirmed, running off to Ancient Runes the second she was dismissed. Other than that, she was clear to take Charms, Defense Against the Dark Arts, Transfiguration, Herbology, Arithmancy, Ancient Runes, and Potions.

Neville was having difficulty, though.

"Herbology, fine. Professor Sprout will be delighted to see you back with an 'Outstanding' O.W.L. And you qualify for Defense Against the Dark Arts with 'Exceeds Expectations.' But the problem is Transfiguration," Professor McGonagall sighed. "I'm sorry, Longbottom, but an 'Acceptable' really isn't good enough to continue to N.E.W.T. level. I just don't think you'd be able to cope with the coursework."