Career Meeting: Year 5

Escaping the hospital wing was never something Amisty ever thought she'd be relieved to do. Turns out, it's much less fun being the patient than taking care of the patients. Umbridge refused to reschedule her detentions, to Professor McGonagall's anger, and Amisty had to struggle through a whole week of ridiculously painful self-scarring. She had downed at least half the supply of Blood Replenishing Potions, and as proud of she had once been of her pain tolerance, she didn't know if it was shattered entirely or even better now.

"That's evil," Hermione seethed when she had recovered enough to get back to the common room. "Completely despicable."

She got back just in time for a whole pile of pamphlets, leaflets, and notices all about wizarding careers to litter the tables inside the common room and plaster the notice board. More importantly, however, was the massive announcement that dominated the board.

CAREER ADVICE

All fifth years will be required to attend a short meeting with their Head of House during the first week of the Summer term, in which they will be given the opportunity to discuss their future careers. Times of individual appointments are listed below.

Amisty was meeting with Professor McGonagall in her office during her History of Magic block. Thank goodness. Any excuse to escape from that class was a good excuse.

"Well, I don't fancy Healing," Ron took a good look at the pamphlet with the St. Mungo's cross on it, frowning.

Amisty's head popped up from the Magizoologist pamphlet she had been leafing through.

He flipped through it again, "It says here you need at least an E at N.E.W.T. level in Potions, Herbology, Transfiguration, Charms, and Defense Against the Dark Arts. I mean... blimey... Don't want much, do they?"

Amisty wilted, catching the pamphlet when Ron threw it toward her. Mungo Bonham winked up at her.

"Well, it's a very responsible job, isn't it? You better pay closer attention in Potions and Herbology, Am," Hermione replied, nose buried in So You Think You'd Like to Work in Mugle Relations? "You don't seem to need many qualifications to liaise with Muggles... All they want is an O.W.L. in Muggle Studies... 'Much more important is your enthusiasm, patience, and a good sense of fun!"

"You'd need more than a good sense of fun to liaise with my uncle," Harry muttered. "Good sense of when to duck, more like..." He flipped a page of the Wizard banking pamphlet. "Listen to this: 'Are you seeking a challenging career involving travel, adventure, and substantial, danger-related treasure bonuses? Then consider a position with Gringotts Wizarding Bank, who are currently recruiting Curse-Breakers for thrilling opportunities abroad...' they want Arithmancy, though... You could do it, Hermione!"

"I don't much fancy banking," Hermione replied, distracted by Have You Got What it Takes to Train Security Trolls?

"Hey," Fred had joined them, taking a seat and propping his feet up on the table, casting several Ministry books to the ground. George squeezed next to Amisty, taking her a good look at her hand.

"Please don't touch it," Amisty whispered out of the corner of her mouth. "It still hurts a bit."

"How've you been holding up," He asked.

"I've been better," She admitted, a tad bit sarcastically. "I stopped having to take those potions last night, though, so that's relieving. I think they were messing with my Moonlight potion."

"Revenge is best served wet," He replied just as softly, ruffling her hair.

She raised her eyebrow, "What -- "