Waves

I opened my mouth a few times trying to say something but nothing came out before I even turned to look. I took a deep breath and felt a hand on mine on the table, looked to the side and saw Brad, he smiled weakly at me and I nodded, composing myself.

— I'm glad you're together. I swear I was worried that morning. — The blonde said and smiled, looking much nicer than when I saw her in his bed, but the nausea I felt that morning instantly returned.

— We're not together. — Brad said low to her and smiled weakly, she looked confused at the others and only then I noticed how neither of them was understanding exactly what was happening. — She is, hm...

— Ashley. — She said.

— Ashley is Brad's friend from Liverpool. — I said and scratched my head, hoping they would understand. By the look of astonishment, I think they did.

— Actually, I'm from Brighton, but I was in Liverpool when I met him. That was a strange morning...— She said with a grimace before chuckling. — I thought you were together, you entered the room declaring yourself and...

— But we're not. — I said firmly. — There was no way, not after he got involved with you and the other girl. — She frowned.

— What? — She laughed again as she shook her head. — That's what he said?

— No, I did not say that. I do not remember anything about what happened that night. — He scratched his hair, embarrassed, mostly because all our friends were there.

— Honey, we never got involved. — Wait! What? — I don't think I'd remember it either, after drinking so much.

— How? You were naked on his bed and there was still the girl in the towel coming out of the bathroom. — I said confused, feeling lost. My life was a mess. Mess after mess. — You asked if I was going to join your fun.

— Sophie? She's my girlfriend. And that was a joke. — Brenda choked on her drink and James slapped softly her back.

— Bad time for jokes. — Tristan added and I could not help but nod as he looked at me, smiling gently.

— I sleep like that, but nothing happened, I swear. — She looked defensive now. I do not know why, but I felt the sincerity in her voice.

— What exactly happened that night? I try to remember but I can't. — Brad sighed low. — I just remember drinking in the bar next to the hotel with you and other people, then I woke up with Y/n at the door.

— I think you'd better sit down. — Connor commented, pulling a chair to her, who had been standing up until then.

—Okay, I'm going to tell everything.

Flashback

Ashley's POV

— I can not believe we missed our flight and now we have to wait until morning for the next one. — Sophie commented, snorting as we entered the bar next to the hotel we had been staying in before. — Even worse, the hotel does not have any more rooms free.

— At least the bar is open all night. — I commented giggling and she smiled. — Tequila?

— Sure! — She said and we approached the counter next to where a brown-haired boy was sitting. We tried to order but he was faster.

— One more, please. — He asked the waiter, only then noticing that we were there. — Were you here at first? I'm sorry! I did not really see you there. I... — He said and sighed low for a moment, turning his attention to us. — Do you accept a shot of tequila to make up for my lack of attention?

— Free drink? For sure! — Sophie smiled excitedly at the idea and I chuckled, she never refuses.

— We accept, but you really do not have to bother with it, it's a normal thing. — I said, but he had already made the order.

— Also, it looks like you need a shot a lot more than we need. — Sophie said and I pinched her discreetly. — I mean, um, you look upset, kind of lost. — Lucky us, he's being nice and just laughing at what she said.

— Is it that obvious? Geez, I really need to learn to fake it better. — He smiled faintly, turning his attention to the waiter who left our drinks right in front of us.

— Wanna talk about it? — I asked shortly before turning the tequila shot, then grimacing.

— Do you really want to listen or are you just being kind 'cause of the free drink? He raised his eyebrows and chuckled. — It's about a girl.

— Maybe we can help. We understand girls and their love lives. — Sophie smiled up at him and laid her head on my shoulder, I think it was only then that he realized we were a couple. — Girls can be tricky, but we understand that. She laughed and I followed.

— So, what's the problem? — I asked as I sat next to him with Sophie beside me, listening intently to what he was saying. He explained the whole situation from how he met her, how he felt to where they are at the moment, a love triangle. Anyone there, without even knowing him, could see how he loved her. The way he talked about her and smiled with bright eyes was very clear.

— I do not think I ever wanted anything as much as I want now. He said and smiled faintly as he sighed low. — She is very special.

— Do you think she feels the same? — Sophie questioned.

— Honestly, I don't know... I think she's pretty confused in the middle of this situation. But lately, I feel that she's closer to Blake.

— Is that why you're drinking so much?— I asked after noticing the number of empty glasses beside him.

— I think so. It's just... I don't know. — He said and sighed quietly before taking one last sip of his drink. — And what about you, why are you in this bar listening to a stranger?

— We missed our flight and now we have to wait for the next one, which is in the morning. — Sophie replied.

— Are you staying here at the hotel?

— Not really. We were staying there and checked out today, but now they have no more rooms available. So our plan was to spend the night here, drinking. — I laughed with them.

— It's a good plan. I think I would do that too. — He laughed and shook his head.

We continued talking and drinking a lot, other bar people joined us next. We were having fun, but we started getting tired, after all, we had done a city tour all day. I yawned and laughed, alcohol effect.

— I'm closing the bar now, better go somewhere else. — The waiter said and I looked frightened at Sophie, we would need to find another place.

— And now? Where do we go? — Sophie asked me and I opened my mouth to answer her but Brad was faster.

— You can stay in my room, you can sleep there and I go to the room of one of my friends, or we can continue drinking and talking.

Flashback off

— That's what we did, but Brad soon bedded down and slept like a stone the rest of the night. — She finished.

— So nothing really happened between you two? — James asked and she nodded.

— Brad is cute, but he's not my type. — She chuckled and I could see a smile on my friends' faces. I felt a hand squeeze mine gently and I turned to see Brad, smiling at me as soon as our eyes met.

I blinked my eyes a few times, trying to process everything. He did nothing, it was all a misunderstanding. I do not think I've ever felt any more relieved in my life. The nausea has passed and my breathing returned to a normal rhythm. It was as if the waves, which had previously struck violently against the rocks, were beginning to calm down, finding the strength to begin again.