Middle of the night

When we arrived at the party, we noticed that we were slightly late, the house was full and the music playing. We were welcomed by James and Connor, followed by Tristan. Brad looked at us from a distance and waved, giving us a tight lip smile, talking to some people again. Seeing him has already made me feel butterflies, part of me was grateful that he'd only waved from afar instead of coming to greet us at close range, it would be at least very uncomfortable.

Blake and I walked over to where Brenda, Reece, and George were, we talked and drank until we were interrupted by James knocking on a glass to get everyone's attention.

— We wanted to say a few things before we could continue with the party. First, on behalf of the band, thank you for being here celebrating with us another tour completed.

— We also thank everyone who accompanied us on this tour, ensuring that everything acted as it should. — Connor continued.

— All of you were important, each playing an equally essential role in making it all possible. None of this would happen without you so we leave our thanks here! — Brad finished and everyone raised their glasses, toasting. The boys left the center and came to us, but Brad stayed there. — Before we went on with the party, I wanted to take a few more minutes of your attention.

Everyone frowned, not understanding what would come, even the boys.

— James, what is happening? — I asked, turning my gaze to him for a moment.

— I have no idea.— He looked as lost as me.

— This was not planned. — Connor remarked as he saw Brad approaching the piano.

— Will he play without us?? — Tris wondered. — I hope he's not about to announce a solo career!!

— Many things happened on this tour, good and bad. Things neither of us thought would happen. — He spoke as calmly as ever but he did not smile at that moment, making everything tenser. — Over the last few weeks I've worked on a new song, which is very personal to me, and I'd love for you to be the first to hear it. I hope you enjoy Middle of the Night.

He sat down at the piano in the living room and started fingering the keys, beginning the melody.

I keep coming back to that moment where it all fell apart

So I try and drink my emotions 'til I can't feel my heart

And I don't understand how you slipped through my hands

And I do all I can to get you out of my head

So when I call you in the middle of the night

And I'm choking on the words 'cause I miss you

Baby, don't tell me I'm out of time

I got so much of my loving to give you

In the middle of the night

I need you

In the middle of the night

I've got no good explanation for what I put you through

My eyes were fixed on him as he played the piano masterfully and left all his emotion there, singing with his soul to all the guests, maybe they did not know the real meaning behind it, but I knew it. Every word, every verse and note of that song was about me. About us.

A growing knot formed in my throat as the music unfolded, the touching and deep melody given by the piano did not help at all, melancholy took over me and I could concentrate on nothing but that lyrics. A movie of all moments was going through my head, the good and the bad, but that night specifically.

Applause broke into my ear as the song ended and Brad forced a smile, his gaze directed at me. The air was lacking and my legs seemed to falter as I kept my gaze fixed on him, but the truth was that I was not there, I was too far away to hear any talk around me.

— I need air. — It was the only and last thing I could say before I left as fast as I could. I walked among some people, bumping into them as I apologized without even seeing who it was until I reached the outside and stood by the pool.

My stomach was twisting and I felt like I was going to vomit at any moment as my body was flooded with a mix of emotions. I closed my eyes for a moment and I trained my breathing for a few moments until it calmed down and returned to normal, gradually the seasickness also improved. I opened my eyes and stared up at the starry sky until I heard a familiar voice behind me, making every vertebra in my spine shiver.

— I knew I'd find you here. — I turned and found Brad standing with his hands in his pocket. I opened my mouth a few times to try to say something, but no sound was emitted by it, making me sigh low, running my hand over my face, pausing until I could form a sentence.

— Brad, what was that? — My voice was choked up and it was starting to become a blurry as my eyes were full of tears.

I took my hands to my face, unable to control my tears, so I could feel those arms that seemed "home" hugging me completely.

— Why can not we make this over? — I asked between tears, grabbing his shirt as he buried his face in his chest.

— Shh... We'll work it out, I promise. — How can the person who caused it to give me so much security that everything will be all right?

With all this confusion, I needed time to try to unravel my mind, but the truth is that I can not get away from this feeling that takes me and I know that the only way to fight it is by talking to Brad about everything and solving this situation once and for all.

— I hate myself for crying in the worst of situations. — I pulled away, grumbling as I wiped the tears from my face with my hands. There was a party going on inside and I was crying outside.

— I'm sorry for making you cry, it was not my intention when I came here, I swear. In fact, it was never my intention to make a tear run down your face all this time. — He sighed heavily, he meant that, I felt it. I thought that when I talked to him I would not believe a word that came out of his mouth that he was not the Brad I knew, my Brad, that I did not really know him, but here he is, right in front of me, proving me that I was wrong.

— I-I think we'd better get back to the party. Can we talk about this later in your room? — He nodded with a weak smile on his face and I did the same. — Blake must be worried about me.

— Yeah, he must be. — I gave him a tight lip smile and turned, walking back to the house while he was still standing there.