Chapter 22- Portraits

Present day

"You're rambling," the werewolf groaned, shooting a glare at the huddled form in the far corner of the cell. "Would you shut up already?"

Fenrir Greyback hated being a babysitter. He was not meant for idleness -- his very feral, beastly nature tailored for war. If only he were allowed to break those bars and rip her throat out. The silence would be a deliverance.

The girl blinked, dazed, the flow of her words trickling to a stop. The constant dripping of water down the walls of the cellar was suddenly deafening as they appraised each other, his yellow eyes holding a challenge. Her gaze was fierce, unyielding. He waited, one second, two. Ten. And then, he blinked too. 

"Fine," he huffed, the curve of his shoulders loosening. "Go on, keep talking. We'll both go mad if you don't."

.......................................................

We entered the Zabini home via the back door. Allegra extracted an ornate silver keychain from her pocket, fumbling with the jangling keys. A second later, she swung the door open, ushering us inside. 

The only sound was the hearty fire crackling in the next room over, casting flickering, warm light over our surroundings. Deep indigo armchairs, velvety in texture, crowded around it. The walls were plain white but for a discreet band of gilded paint that striped across the top of them, barely visible behind the imposing shelves weighed down by countless books. 

I breathed in the smell of the pages, straightening. Blaise caught the movement, an amused twinkle simmering in his dark gaze. His mother's arms rubbed my shoulders comfortingly. 

"You are cold as ice, carina," she tutted. "Would you like me to show you to your room?"

My eyes roamed over the bookshelves, taking in the gilded covers and well-used classics. Given the opulence of the rest of the room, their collection must have held at least a few first editions. I stepped forward, hesitantly reaching towards the dusty cover of the closest novel. The silvery letters of its title glinted back at me in the dim light. La Modification (Second Thoughts).

Allegra stifled a yawn, indulging my curiosity. "On second thought, the night is still young." 

She muttered a series of instructions to Blaise, who nodded and left. I heard the telltale pop of a house-elf appearing down the corridor as Allegra settled me into the nearest loveseat, the burgundy cushions hugging my back. 

"You just sit back and relax, all right?" she said. "I will be back."

I nodded, sinking into the permeating warmth of the couch. The sound of my flimsy, off-white pages turning, the high-pitched whine of the kettle a few doors down, the soft murmur of Italian as Allegra spoke to her child... They all felt like home, safe enough to relax in. 

The words of the translated book soon began to blur before my eyes and I gratefully drifted off to sleep.

........................

The rattling sounds coming from the fireplace were unbearable. I drifted in and out of my dream, tugged to reality by the clanging. Blaise and Allegra were asleep in armchairs near mine, curled up under fur blankets similar to the one they'd apparently draped over me. Green shadows passed over their faces, giving them a sickly glow.

I jumped up, startled. Green, like the flames of the vibrant woodfire to my right. Who on Earth could be trying to contact the Zabinis at this time? Cautiously, I approached, peering down into the glowing logs. My mother's acerbic face stared right back up at me. 

"Merlin," I mumbled under my breath, rubbing at my left eye tiredly. No matter what time it actually was, it was too early for this.

"Sorry to disappoint," she said curtly, her usually neatly combed hair rippling erratically in the flames. "Where are you?"