Chapter 8- Blonde Hair and White Hands*

The longer we stared, the more enraged Professor McGonagall seemed to become. Her lips were bone white by the time she felt composed enough to speak to us again. "You're lucky you weren't killed. Why aren't you in your dormitories?"

Professor Snape gave Harry a swift, piercing look that had him withdrawing into himself shamefully, before finally noting my presence. Onyx met conflicted E/C calculatingly.

"Miss L/N," he said, in a voice so silky it was ominous, "I did not expect for you to be here. May you please explain your reasons for disrespecting curfew, and in such... company?"

Before I could even open my mouth, a small voice came out of the shadows. "Please, Professor McGonagall-- they were looking for me."

"Miss Granger!" she exclaimed, stunned, as Hermione teetered to her feet and came to stand beside me. 

I was so relieved she had decided to tell the truth, as it saved me the precarious position of having to point out the horrible things Ron had said. But her next words changed my mind.

"I went looking for the troll because I-- I thought I could deal with it on my own-- you know, because I've read all about them."

Harry's and Ron's jaws dropped. Hermione Granger, telling a downright lie to a teacher? I hissed under my breath, "What are you doing?"

She shook her head imperceptibly, begging me to go along with it. But Professor Snape had noticed my reaction with his hawkish eyes, and said: "Would you like to add anything to Miss Granger's tale, Miss L/N?"

"No, sir," I replied meekly, looking at my feet as Hermione continued.

"If the boys and Y/N hadn't found me, I'd be dead now. Harry stuck his wand up its nose and Ron threw rocks at it and was very brave, and Y/N was brilliant, she shot so many spells at it before she and Ron knocked it out with its own club. They didn't have time to come and fetch anyone.  It was about to finish me off when they arrived."

Harry and Ron had an absolutely horrid, falsely knowledgeable look on their faces, like Hermione's story wasn't new at all to them, but it seemed to satisfy Professor McGonagall. "Miss Granger, you foolish girl, how could you think of tackling a mountain troll on your own?"

Hermione hung her head, and I squirmed.  

"Miss Granger, five points will be taken from Gryffindor for this," the Head of House continued sternly. "I'm very disappointed in you. If you're not hurt at all, you'd better get off to Gryffindor Tower, the students are finishing the feast in the common room."

Hermione left after a grateful look in my direction, and McGonagall turned to Harry and Ron, who looked like they would rather face the troll again than her wrath. Surprise mixed with glee lit up their faces when she said instead, "Well, I still say you were lucky, but not many first-years could have taken on a full-grown mountain troll. You each win Gryffindor five points. Professor Dumbledore will be informed of this. You may go."

The boys hurried out of the chamber, and Professor McGonagall made the troll's body levitate. "Severus, Miss L/N is your student, so I believe any punishment or lack thereof is between your hands. Come along, Quirinius."

She marched out of the chamber, and Professor Quirrell followed with one last pitiful whimper. Once he was sure they were gone, Professor Snape looked at me in a peculiar manner, and I knew I was done for. 

"Well, Miss L/N, shouldn't you be cleaning up after yourself?" he simply stated, and I gaped at him uncomprehendingly.

"Excuse me, sir?"