Chapter 13- Ruby and Sapphire*

Despite how wrong it felt, I enjoyed the Gryffindor Common Room. It was absurdly welcoming, all pale golden walls swathed in rich burgundy drapes and a huge fireplace with crackling orange flames surrounded by cozy, mismatched armchairs. A crimson blanket was thrown over the back of one of them, and a teetering pile of books perched on the coffee table decorated with lion feet. A Christmas tree, fully decorated, lurked in a corner. 

What made it remarkable to me was the warmth. No need to wear three sweaters here -- a refreshing change.

As though he had read my thoughts, Harry quickly peeled off his jumper, revealing a red shirt. I laughed, causing him to turn to me with a bewildered expression.

"You match the room," I said. 

He stared down at his chest, slightly embarrassed. "Oh. Yes, I do."

I walked over to the spiral staircase at the very back of the common room. Ascending the first two steps, hand resting on the polished wooden rail, I turned back to Harry. "I suppose this leads to the dorms?"

He nodded, advancing quickly and grabbing my wrist. "Come on, I'll show you."

We came to a halt before a simple wooden door. It revealed another staircase, straight this time.

"This one only leads to the girls' rooms," Harry explained as we climbed the steps. "I've never been, so forgive me if I take a while to--"

Just then, his foot hit the sixth stair, which promptly let out a loud, wailing honk. He reached up to cover his ears with a wince, but before they had reached their destination, he froze. The steps were melting together to form a long, smooth stone slide. There was a moment of panic as Harry tried to keep running, and then we both toppled backward, shooting down the newly created slide. I squealed -- he hit the ground first, letting out a huffy breath. Just as I was about to slide right past him, his arm reached out, pulling me into him. In a confused movement of arms and legs, I found myself on top of him, staring into a pair of twinkling emerald eyes.

"Somehow, I don't think I'm allowed in the girls' dormitories," he laughed, puffing a strand of tousled black hair out of his face.

I threw him a sarcastic look, rolling off him. "Don't try to make me believe you didn't do that last bit on purpose, Harry."

Not denying anything, he stood, graciously helping me up in turn. "Either way, I'll let you get settled in. I'll see you in the Great Hall for dinner later?"

I nodded briskly.

He chuckled under his breath again and strolled back down to the common room. A second later, I heard Ron's voice bubble up and the clinking of chess pieces. Harry apparently hadn't been kidding when he said Ron was teaching him to play.

Facing the entrance to the girls' rooms, I realized the staircase had morphed back to its original shape. Surprised, I tentatively made my way up the steps, praying that the same rule didn't apply to girls from other Houses.

Apparently, it didn't, for I made it to the top soon enough. I could see my own luggage-- painfully green in the midst of all this red-- piled at the foot of the bed furthest from the door. The unreasonable amount of books that were piled on the bedside table confirmed it belonged to Hermione. Sitting down on the very edge of the bed, I swore I'd disturb as little as possible in the room so that she wouldn't even notice I had been here. 

***********

I crept down the staircase, holding my breath. I had decided to go through with my plan and visit Ravenclaw Tower. I had waited and waited, only coming down to the common room a couple of minutes before dinner to drastically reduce chances of any pesky encounters. However, as I slithered towards the door, it appeared that it wasn't my lucky day.