Chapter 11- Whispers and Waiting*

For this chapter, F/N means Father's Name! Enjoy ;)

************

I glared into Draco's sparkling eyes. 

"You," I hissed. Hermione sank back into her seat weakly. "Get out before I hex you."

Stormy eyes widened perceptibly, but he hid his fear under a thick layer of sarcasm. "If you do anything, I won't come to your New Year's party, and we can't have that, can we?"

"Like you were ever even invited!" A flat-out lie, which we both knew. His parents were always invited.

"What's the matter, angry that I didn't want anything more to do with someone with connections as disgraceful as yours?" He scoffed. "Or, even better, were you actually stupid enough to think I cared about you as a person?"

My eyes filled with tears of rage. "'What am I doing here? Where were you all evening?' 'Golly, Y/N, you could have died, I was so worried'! Changed your tune since then, haven't you?"

He remained silent. I shook my head. "You really live up to your reputation, don't you?" 

He crossed his arms over his chest defensively. "And what reputation would that be?"

"You're a heartless, loathsome git, Draco Malfoy," I spat. 

"If I'm all that you say, L/N, why is it that Pansy tells me you like me a little too much for her liking?" He raised a pale eyebrow.

My jaw clenched. Liked him? Who could like someone like that, someone who totally disdained others' feelings, someone who was capable of calling Muggle-borns 'Mudbloods' to their face? He wasn't worthy of the oxygen he was breathing. 

"Pansy should keep her unfounded opinions to herself," I spluttered. His face washed over with bitterness. "Let's just put it this way, Draco-- you haven't done much to gain my affections."

"Oh, yes, and your affections are so hard to gain anyway," he shot back.

I threw my hands up in capitulation. "Why are you here anyway, Draco? What is it you want? Because Hermione and I were a bit busy before you got here."

Hermione looked up at the sound of her name, and I realized she had cracked a book open whilst Draco and I had been arguing and had been completely spellbound by it until this precise moment. Whether it was a botched attempt to give us some privacy or mere insensitivity, I didn't know. 

Her eyes flitted nervously to Draco, who had stalked back into the corridor and was muttering, "I just wanted you to keep it down already, we can hear you screeching from the other end of the corridor."

"I'll see what I can do," I hissed back half-heartedly, watching with relief as he slammed the door shut behind him. 

"Well, that was odd," Hermione interjected bluntly. "Do you believe him?"

I shook my head. "No, he's usually more vehement when he wants someone to stop making noise. It's something else, but I'll be hexed if I know what."

There was an awkward, long silence, and then...

"Y/N, I don't want us to fall out," she continued in a tiny voice, wringing her hands in her lap shamefully.

Deep down, I didn't want that either, but she hadn't yet apologized or shown any kind of remorse for breaking my trust. I was not a doormat she could dispose of as she wished, and she needed to understand that. So I brushed myself off, stood a little bit straighter, and said firmly, "Me neither, Hermione. If only you knew."

I walked out, determined to forget the look of shock on her face. A few tears of frustration made my eyes water, so I ducked into the closest bathroom to glare at myself balefully in the mirror. I gathered my hair into one hand, splashing cold water onto my face with the other. What an unpleasant day.