Chapter 10- Snowflakes and Snide Comments*

Christmas was coming, and with it a fair amount of impatience. The teachers had begun to give out more tests, and everyone was excited to be on holiday. Snowball fights occurred practically every day under the arches that led to the courtyard, and the fact that a thick layer of blindingly white snow regenerated on the ground every night didn't do anything to calm the frenzy. The Slytherin common room had the fires going constantly since the Black Lake had frozen over, making our breath come out in white mist clouds every time we exhaled. The corridors had become wrought with howling gusts of icy wind that rattled the windows in the classrooms. 

If Harry, Hermione and I had grown even closer over the past few weeks that followed the Quidditch match, Draco had become increasingly unpleasant and bitter. He always had a rude comment intended for me when I had the misfortune to walk by him in the common room or the hallways, but he clearly spat the most hate when he was around Harry. 

"I do feel so sorry," he drawled, one Potions class, "for all the people who have to stay at Hogwarts for Christmas because they're not wanted at home."

He was looking pointedly at Harry as he spoke, but even when Crabbe and Goyle dutifully chuckled, the Gryffindor ignored them, concentrating on measuring out the correct amount of powdered spine of lionfish. Draco clearly hadn't gotten over the fact that Slytherin had lost, and consequently had attempted to get everyone to laugh at how a wide-mouthed tree frog would be replacing Harry as Seeker next. As no one had found it funny, he had gone back to taunting Harry about having no proper family, which I found disgustingly below the belt.

"Like a Pureblood Christmas is even enviable," I hissed under my breath, tipping Harry's powdered spine into his cauldron. "All we do is listen to classical music and sit around the table too formally as usual. If his family's anything like mine, he doesn't even get that many presents."

Harry replied quietly. "What he's saying is true. I'm not going back to Privet Drive for another Christmas with Dudley-- I'll be much better off here, especially since Ron is staying as well."

I felt a wave of relief wash over me at his words. I had been feeling extremely guilty at the thought of him having to spend Christmas alone, which was so sad I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

"You never did tell me the details about Dudley," I commented, stirring the potion counterclockwise and adding three porcupine quills. "What's he like?"

"He's older than me," Harry supplied, reading the next step. "And he made my childhood pretty dreadful. You see, he's spoiled rotten by my aunt and uncle--nothing's ever good enough, numerous enough, big enough for their precious Diddykins--and still he felt like I spited him just by my presence. Or maybe it's just his bullying nature, I don't know. Anyway, he had this little gang of friends and their favorite pastime was to make my life as miserable as possible." 

He paused. "At least Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon took me in. I don't know what I'd have done otherwise, they're the only relatives I have left."

I nodded slowly, sure he didn't want my pity. It was something I could understand-- he didn't feel sorry for himself for the things that normal people would find dreadful, and as for the things that saddened him most... well, no amount of pity could compensate for them. "So all those Muggle sweaters you have, are they his?"

He bit back a laugh as our potion turned a vivid shade of violet, exactly as it should. "Yes they are-- he's enormously fat, really, and the jumpers get bigger every year. At this rate, I wonder how he's going to be able to fit into his school uniform. You know, he tried to eat the birthday cake Hagrid made me when I turned 11, and he got a pig tail because of it!"

"No way!" I giggled, trying to stifle the sound with my sleeve as best I could so Snape wouldn't notice and come leech on our childish joy. "Hagrid didn't!"