CHAPTER EIGHTEEN.

wonwoo

the monster screeched, sending a wave of scorching hot daggers straight towards me, as i lunged. at first, i was sure that the blade would shatter in my hands as the force of driving it into the creature's skin would rip me apart. from somewhere in my head, fate taunted and teased me.

i squeezed my eyes shut and pushed the blade through the animal's skin with as much strength as i could muster. i must've hit the right spot because the snake squirmed and writhed beneath me as i twisted the blade deeper into its gut. the sounds it released were deafening - as if i had turned the key to pandora's box and let it all skyrocket out. i pulled out my new sword, wincing after seeing it was covered in snake blood and guts and whatnot, and used it as a handhold to pull myself across it's back. i scaled the snake's slimy skin; i tried hard to communicate with it but something must've happened when i hurt it. it was like every time it came closer to death the humanity of it sizzled away; the screeches became more animal and the hisses hurt my ears less. whatever i was doing, it was working.

the skin was thicker around the head and i knew that i would need a lot more than a bit of pointy metal to do some serious damage. still, i slit the scales and quickly held onto one of the spikes that jutted out of them. the snake was still trying it's hardest to throw me off but it was much weaker than me now and it was obvious i had the upper hand. i catapulted myself towards it's eyes, swinging my sword across them hastily, blinding the gargantuan animal. i landed in the giant oak tree, which broke my fall slightly, before hitting the ground and rolling on my shoulder. 

that's going to hurt in the morning.

as i regained my breath, i watched incredulously as the animal began to shrink rapidly. but it didn't do it in a nice concise way like in the movies. it convulsed and spasmed like someone was physically trying to fit it inside a small box. i heard multiple bones crack (not sure if they were mine or the snake's) and if my new ophidian friend could scream any louder, i'm sure it would've. suddenly, after one last ear-splitting groan, the creature collapsed into its final form. a shock wave spread through the town, rustling trees and knocking me to the ground.

i awoke a few moments later: the torrential rain had ceased and everything looked back to normal. there was no hole in the middle of my house and the birds began to tweet again. judging by the rising sun, it was still the early hours of the morning. quietness blanketed everything around me and the only sounds that could be heard were my laboured breathing and the gentle swaying of the oak tree, like it knew that we shared a secret and that he'd seen it all happen too.

i was happy there was no explaining to be done about melting half the house to my sort-of mom but when i looked down at my clothes, scorch marks covered me from head to toe and slivers of my skin peeked out from where the fabric had completely burnt away. my whole body pulsed with pain and i started to limp towards my house when something glinted in the orange sun and caught my eye. i hobbled over and stopped to see what it was.

where the giant snake once was, a new keyring rested on the grass. it was of a very familiar snake cast in red and gold with the word 'apep' attached under it. i slipped it into my pocket and staggered silently back to my house.

________________

on this episode of why izzy didn't update for three weeks...

i had coursework to do i'm sorry :((( anyway i hope you're all alright and thriving !!