CHAPTER ONE.

wonwoo
"fucking shit," i cursed under my breath as i dived behind a rock, just about missing a fireball that had been heading my way. pain seared up my arm but i knew that whatever had happened had to wait because this beast wasn't about to destroy itself anytime soon. the creature reared it's ugly head as another round of it's fireballs were shot this way. it was hot, i was sweaty, everything was covered in dirt and all thirteen of us were exhausted beyond belief.

i scramble for cover yet again, checking the graze on my hand and wiping it carelessly on my jeans; seungkwan can just heal me later anyway, if he has any power left. behind the same rock i'm using as a shelter, crouches a frantic looking junhui. despite being only an amateur spirit magician, wen junhui is the only wizard in the world with all twelve zodiac keys. he's not the strongest, i'll admit, but he's fairly powerful and definitely has an idea of what he's doing.

there's a look of panic on his face and a jingle of metal as jun squats, surrounded by little golden weapons: the aforementioned zodiac keys.

"you ok there buddy?" i yell above the din of jihoon's ice magic shattering above us. the boy had a lot of power in his 5'5" body and it's never a good idea to underestimate such a person as jihoon.

jun shakes his head as he scans the keys lain out in front of him.

"most of my spirits are down, and seungkwan's healing magic doesn't work on them because they're not human. the only spirits i have left are aries and aquarius, but there's obviously no water around and aries is really badly hurt." jun looks like a child about to burst into tears as he speaks of his spirits so thoughtfully. i give him a quick pat on the back to comfort him.

"don't worry jun, you helped massively. pisces really did a number out there!" i say enthusiastically and the chinese boy gives me a trembling smile.

"thanks wonw-look out!" jun pulls me out of the way just in time as giant ball of pink fire explodes.

"for someone with the power to teleport, your reflexes are terribly slow," junhui quips and i punch him on the shoulder lightly.

"soonyoung needs to be more careful where he aims," i respond lightly, crawling away from jun.

"i'm going to see how the others are getting on. want to come with?" junhui looks a bit uneasy before shaking his head.

"no thanks. last time i travelled with you, i almost threw up when we arrived." i shrugged in response.

"suit yourself."

i began to focus immensely hard on picturing jihoon in my mind, who is worryingly draining all of his magic power. suddenly, junhui was spinning away and i felt like i was floating in outer space, surrounded by darkness. the feeling was over in an instant when i landed next to jihoon, who seemed to be resting for a little while.

he was in a terrible state: covered in sweat and muck just like the rest of us, deathly pale with huge dark circles under his eyes. he had spent the whole night planning the mission; he had underestimated the power of this monster.

"you ok?" i shout. jihoon weakly nods before getting up again to create some spears made of ice. i put my hand out to stop him.

"hold on, if we keep using up all our magic power we'll get ourselves killed. this thing is obviously holding up very well and i think we should try something more logical."

jihoon looked at me with a quirked eyebrow, his silent nod for me to continue. he was immensely tired and we both knew he only had one last effort within him before he passed out. so i explained it the best i could and thankfully, he's a fast learner. we didn't waste anytime putting it into action.

i started to imagine an ice sword flying through the air, the one that jihoon was currently creating. at the same time, jihoon launched it with as much force as his last little bit of power could muster and i teleported to the destination of the sword. it materialised in my hand thanks to the perfect timing and we flew through the air, aiming directly for the heart of this beast. it was being kept occupied by soonyoung, joshua and seungcheol who were the only ones of us who hadn't run out of power or who weren't injured.

the dagger, sharp enough to slice through solid metal, rammed straight into the thick skin of the monster. it let out a mighty roar of pain before thrashing around, trying to dislodge it but doing the exact opposite. i clung on for dear life, pushing the sword in further until at last the beast stilled. i teleported away before it could crush me and it landed with a thud at our makeshift base. the silence was deafening as we all processed what had happened.

"well done wonwoo!"

everybody rushed over to see me and mingyu helped me up off of the floor with his good arm. dusting myself down, my face held a tired smile.

"you did well, woo."
"likewise, gyu."

our sweet moment and the chatter of the others was broken when joshua appeared, tying a bag that was dripping with blood. it was the tongue of the thing we had just slain, at the request of a strange potion maker who claimed it had some sort of healing properties. seungkwan had snorted when he'd heard.

"i think we're done for the day. hot showers, food and sleep is much needed right now," joshua says calmly, as he supports a very worn out soonyoung. there were murmurs of agreement and everyone began to limp home.

____________

*i did use lucy's magic from fairy tail for jun but he only has the twelve gold keys, not a whip or any silver ones. i hope u can forgive me.