22. I Will Not Be So Easily Fooled

Start from the beginning

"Let her breathe, Andrew. She should be back next week." I try to reason with him but he still drills in for more.

"Could you tell me what's wrong though? Or at least give me her address, she's still not answering my messages or calls, she usually always does. Clearly I'm worried, could you just give me something!" He snaps at me, I stop suddenly before turning towards him and once he catches the look on my face, he backs up a few steps, in fact they all do.

"All I know, is that she took a sick day." I say to him quietly, before turning and walking towards the steps that lead up to the second floor.

"Wait, Princess! One more thing!" Ivan calls out, I turn around and raise an eyebrow in question. Waiting as I watch Ivan scoff and shove Maximus forward. A nervous Maximus forward.

Everdeen smiles affectionately while the others give reassuring glances to a sort of stumbling Maximus. He holds a folder in one hand while shoving the other behind his back, in an attempt to hide his shaking fingers. I frown a little in confusion, glancing into each of their eyes before Maximus clears his throat, gaining my attention.

"Ah...Poppy?" He stutters, his eyes are reassured and intent, but his lips tremble in anticipation, I blink a few times, wondering what has him so worked up, most students would be happier at the fact it's last period. Even I'm happy about that.

I purse my lips before, "Yes, Myers." I answer.

He racks the shaky hand through his slightly silky dark strands, is he sweating? I scrutinise my eyes a little, tilting my head. What on earth is going on?

"I-I was wondering if you were free, after school? The others are coming as well, but...I wanted to know-I mean, would you be able to come to dinner? With my family, as well." He stutters a little, his voice squeaking every once in a while before I fully process his elongated question.

Dinner? With his family?

His Mother is absolutely lovely, I'd be happy to even have tea with her but, if his father is there? I might as well prepare my own grave because that demonic snake is very likely to inject poison into me.

My eyes involuntarily narrow, before I realise Maximus winces in the background and the Royals grow quiet when I haven't said anything. I sigh, attempting to look neutral whilst ignoring the thoughts of his father drilling questions and attempting to make me look like an utter fool.

I swear I'm probably going to have to mentally prepare myself for an unnecessary tongue lashing. Annalisa is lovely but, shy, she's unlikely to rebel against Williams' wishes, and I cannot guarantee Maximus will.

"Alright, send me the address at least an hour before. I'll see you all this evening." I say, slightly strict, but I most certainly am not happy about this.

The others smile reassuringly to Maximus just as I turn to the hallway, a step forward on Maximus' part lets me know he's about to tell me he'd rather pick me up, I sigh.

"You're not picking me up, Maximus. Just send me the address." I call over my shoulder, just as I hear him growl, "How the hell does she always know what I'm going to say before I say it?!" Under his breath. The sound of a pat on the back can be heard before I walk into my classroom.

Every chivalrous act he displays is simply copied from the book of 'How to be a Gentleman', if he can portray one act that's not in the book, he might even get a kiss from it.

That's if he could.

Computer engineering never changes, my programming still requires a few edits but not too large that I'd fall behind. Many students crowd around the teacher as confusion drills into their thoughts, clouding the obvious answer.