Chapter 5 - The Trial

Start from the beginning

And with that the council begun my trial.
.

" With the sudden turn of events we , the members of Noble Council of Findara have decided to hold a trial for the disruption of our honourable laws .", one of the Elders spoke . " Now with your permission, Your Majesty ?"

" I , Daniel William Marsden, King in the North ,the heir to my father
Orion Cassius Marsden late king of holy Findara and dynasty Avonia, give my permission for the court's proceedings.",Father's regal voice followed the hall.

I could understand my father had put his expressionless facade on. As royals all our lives we had been taught to hide our emotions from the world. Something my father had mastered well , which I had inherited from him since I was a boy.

" Centuries ago when our kind had descended from the Avonians our ways were primitive. We had been mere blood drinkers with supernatural powers until our greatest ruler Lord Orion formulated the laws that made us superior to mankind in every aspect. We developed a better lifestyle and become more humane more than human beings actually would ever be. Our sense of justice and truth is what makes us the Findarans, the protectors of this noble land in North ."

" One of such laws were not being a part of the world that have despised us from the beginning of time . The world that have characterised us as the villains in history. We are the beings trapped between life and death and ...it scares the humans."

Jeers and laughter erupted from from every corner as Melissa flinched. I had a sudden urge to protect her.

" Whenever we tried to make amends with those ignorant mortals ,chaos was the end result. Either we could cause them harm or those dimwits would never spare a chance to get us exposed and preserve us in some god forsaken place for ..what do you call that again...ah research. Perhaps to study the science of elements that created us."

"Ha! Fools!", It was Uncle Ivan this time who sneered as nastily he could at Melissa. And I realised how much I loathed the man from the core of my heart. The man who ruined my childhood.

" But it seems the successors of our great Lord has indeed forgotten the legacy of their grandfather . What failure have the younger generation arrived to ...tarnishing every great image we had in past. The princes with their reckless behaviour have violated every code of conduct and disappointed the Council. Their crimes not only stopped at venturing into the human world but also involved killing a human! And now we have a stupid human girl who has witnessed everything!"

" What a shame!"

" Fie Fie !"

" So to make a final decision we need them to justify themselves for their foolhardy. Though no justification can undo what's been done.",the headman stopped glaring at our trio. " Prince Zach , your crime was the gravest of all. Hence you shall go first."

I looked at Zach worriedly wondering if he would manage it. Zach smiled briefly ignoring the turmoil that was wrecking him apart from within. Somehow I never wanted him to be the first one to speak, he had not taken the incident well. And I knew he's going to make it sound like everything happened because of him.

He strode towards the podium steadily and gripped the barriers jumping inside. He saw his parents sitting at the front row, his mother's lips were quivering with silent prayers while his father..was just being his father with a malicious look on his face. I could understand his efforts of reading his father's mind were no avail as Ivan had blocked him.