Chapter Forty-seven - Finland

You managed to get enough shut eye to function somewhat normally the following morning. You weren't a morning person by any means, but today you couldn't help but feel more awake than usual. Maybe it was from your excitement of moving on to a new country that kept you going? Or perhaps it was the thought of another potential hottie or cutie? It could have even been a mix of both, but you were just thankful that you wouldn't have to rely on coffee to stay awake on your flight.

Speaking of the flight, Berwald didn't accompany the group to the airport, but rather said his goodbyes at the hotel, stating that he had another group from the tour company coming in at a different airport. You gave him a warm hug, arms wrapped around his torso tightly with your head on his chest. He patted your shoulder, not being much of a hugger, but you were alright with that and respected his boundaries when it came to the amount of physical affection he was comfortable displaying in front of other people. Your friends and you essentially flew through security since it was early in the morning and boarded your flight right as they opened the terminal.

The flight itself experienced a little turbulence, but you were unbothered by it, opting to focus your attention on the game of Chicken that Valerie and Darcy were playing in the seat in front of you. Alfred officiated the game, claiming that he was an expert on the matter. By the time the flight landed, both girls had reddened forearms. They rubbed them gently to ease the stinging sensation that had built up over the flight's duration. Samatha poked at the markings, earning a hiss from both of them and a smack to her upper arm. Darcy even went as far as to punch her in the boob, not super hard but hard enough to cause the red head to rub her chest with a pout.

"Alright dudes! Keep an eye out for an overly excited blond guy. He'll be our next local guide," Alfred stated, already scouting the area outside of baggage claim for said male.

From no luck at your current position, the group headed out towards the pick up area. Everyone's heads whipped around at the sound of a higher pitched male calling out to Alfred and the group. Your American tour director eventually spotted who had been yelling and led the group over to him. Indeed he was shorter than most of the guys you've had to show you around, but he was adorable! His short blond hair framed his slightly round face perfectly, and his youthful appearance gave a shine to his violet colored eyes. His clothes consisted of a light blue t-shirt with matching cargo shorts, a pair of brown sandals, and a white beret. A Nordic cross hung from his neck on a chain.

"Hei! Welcome to Finland!" he greeted cheerily, eyes crinkling in the corners as he smiled widely. "My name is Tino Väinämöinen, and I'll be your tour guide, but I'm sure Alfred already told you as much."

You nearly swooned from how cute his accent was. Lily and Amilia apparently were having the same thoughts as you as they clung to him, hugging him tightly before getting on the bus. He chuckled and returned their hugs before helping Alfred to load the luggage onto the bus. The two males soon boarded the bus and took their seats at the front of the bus. Tino told the group a little about himself while the driver took you to your first destination. You learned, or rather relearned, that he was very close with your previous guides and had a small fluffy white dog named Hanatamago, who he showed everyone a picture of on his phone. You also learned that he loved going to saunas and was partial to the combination of eating sweets while drinking alcohol. An odd combination, you thought, but you'd have to try it some time.

Your drive lasted at least half an hour before you were permitted to exit the bus. The attraction before you was none other than the olympic stadium for the 1952 Summer Olympics. Tino explained a bit about the structure as you walked inside, pointing out places where events would have been held at the time. You snapped pictures here and there before the tour was over. The next location you went to was a church. It wasn't just any church though. This particular church was carved into a rock.

"Temppeliaukio Church, or for those of you who can't pronounce it, the Rock Church, was designed by architect brother Timo and Tuomo Suomalainen," Tino began, leading the group inside. "Plans for the church originally started in the 1930s with a design competition once a plot of land had been selected. The second competition was won by J. S. Siren, but World War II put a hold on all construction plans before they could even begin. Another competition was held after the war ended and was won by the Suomalainen brothers. What you see today is only a quarter of their original plans."

"Why?" Charlotte interrupted.

"Economic troubles. The church started construction in early 1968 and was completed the following year by September."

Tino, after a little more history of the Lutheran church, turned the group free to look around on their own. You found yourself marveling at the beauty of the organ. Tino came up beside you silently, smiling to himself.

"Could you imagine if this place ended up being built at its original size?" you mused.

"I can imagine it'd have a better echo if it was."

You giggled and looked over at him. "It probably would, and the organ would be even larger."

He nodded in agreement, the conversation dying there as you soon had to move on for free time for lunch. Tino had the bus driver take the group to Helsinki Old Market Hall to enjoy traditional Finnish delicacies from the vendors there and to relax before moving on to the next location.

Your next stop was Uspenski Cathedral, a cathedral designed by Russian architect Aleksey Gornostayev for the Eastern Othrodox faith. It was beautifully decorated both inside and outside, allowing you to capture some of the best pictures you've been able to all trip. The group then ventured a few blocks away to go on the Helsinki SkyWheel, which was a massive ferris wheel. You were a bit apprehensive to go on, given your fear of ferris wheels, but Tino convinced you, saying that he'd hold your hand so you could feel more at ease. He even teased at the idea of more spectacular pictures. With a little less reluctance, the two of you boarded your own gondola of sorts.

You gripped the small Finnish man's hand tightly, your knuckles turning white. He began to lose feeling in his hand but said nothing. When at the top, he gestured to the view around you. Facing your fear was well worth it, you realized. You could see much of the surrounding area from your position at the top of the ferris wheel. Putting on your brave face, you asked Tino to take a picture with you to not only fulfill your focus but to commemorate the moment. He happily agreed and let you take the picture before returning to holding his hand, this time not quite as tightly. Upon returning to the ground, Tino helped you off and waited for the rest of the group to get off. You then had free time up until dinner at a nearby restaurant, followed by having the rest of the night to do as you pleased. After a little shopping, you and the rest of the group turned in early for the night at the hotel the travel agency booked for you. This time, you were roomed only with Amilia, which wasn't terrible in the slightest bit. Bidding your friends and the tour guides goodnight, you retired to your room to sleep the night away.

~Author's Note~

DreamsForDays here! It's a little late, but here it is! Towards the end of the chapter, I kind of ran out of steam, so I'm sorry if the ending is a little crappy. Also, don't forget that voting will start in about a month or two for my next story! Thanks for reading! Feedback in the comments is always appreciated! Until next time!