47

LION AMONG WOLVES
— 47. The Reciprocation of Feelings

  That night, Jon slept in Annalys' bed while Annalys remained awake, finding herself unable to sleep after what she had witnessed and endured

  That night, Jon slept in Annalys' bed while Annalys remained awake, finding herself unable to sleep after what she had witnessed and endured. She had cleaned herself of all the blood and patched up her cuts. She also changed out of her torn dress and changed into something else. She sat at her desk, eying the folded piece of paper in her hand. It had the Lannister sigil stamped on it and Annalys found herself fearful of what was inside. It came from a raven that arrived soon after the Wildlings defeated Alliser and his men.

She took a deep breath before finally ripping open the letter. She found it to be a letter from her mother, one that held anything but good news.

Dear Annalys,

I hope this finds you well. It took me a while to figure out your whereabouts, but I finally pieced it together. What better place for a princess to hide than a place where no women were allowed. I haven't written to you to demand your return. I've decided to let you be free for the time being.

I've written to you because I have some tragic news to share. I feared what would happen if you found out from the wrong person. I knew I wanted to be the one to tell you, before anyone else could. I sent Jaime to bring Myrcella back from Dorne after Ellaria Martell sent me a threat against your sister's life. He finally found her, but on the trip back to King's Landing, she was poisoned. Myrcella didn't survive. She's gone.

Kings Landing has gone to utter chaos with the New High Sparrow controlling the city. Your brother is struggling at ruler, without a doubt and I do not know how to help him. It's my fault, too. I wanted to get rid of Margaery by asking the High Sparrow for help.

I ended up being taken prisoner myself. They forced me to confess what I've done with Jaime and as punishment, they chopped off my hair and forced me to walk through the city naked.

When I've finally figured out how to deal with this mess, I hope you come back. I fear if you don't, the same that has happened to Myrcella will happen to you and I refuse to lose you, too. A Lannister living alone up North is dangerous and I hope you take care of yourself. I love you.

With love,
Your mother

Annalys quickly crumbled up the letter, finding herself near tears. Myrcella was gone? She hadn't seen the girl in five years, but that didn't make the pain any less unbearable. For years growing up, Myrcella looked up to Annalys. She wanted to be just like her. And now, look at her? Dead by poison that was given to her by the woman that once wanted to help her elder sister.

Tears streamed down Annalys' face as she silently cried. It seemed like everyone was dying around her since the moment she arrived at Winterfell. Ned Stark, Catelyn Stark, Bran, Robert, Talisa, Oberyn, Myrcella, Robb, everyone. She was even on the verge of losing Jon. Who was next? Tommen? Jaime? Her mother?