43

LION AMONG WOLVES
— 43. You still have me

  The following day, Annalys stood with Sam and Jon in the library at Castle Black, talking about what had happened at Hardhome

  The following day, Annalys stood with Sam and Jon in the library at Castle Black, talking about what had happened at Hardhome. Since Annalys had arrived at the library, she hadn't looked in Jon's direction, which made the man feel quite uneasy, feeling that he was right that matters would be different between them.

  "He raised his hands. And they all stood up at once. Tens of thousands of them, the biggest army in the world." Jon explained and Annalys remained silent, an uneasy look on her face as he explained what happened with the Night King.

"So what are you gonna do?" Sam asked both Jon and Annalys, glancing between them.

"We're gonna hope they don't learn how to climb the bloody wall," Annalys responded, finally adding into the conversation.

"But the Dragonglass..." Sam trailed off nervously, remembering hearing that they had lost the Dragonglass.

Annalys shook her head in response, sighing in defeat, "We're never getting that back. It's lost gone," She responded in a disappointed tone, "It wouldn't have mattered anyway, unless we had a mountain of it, which we clearly don't."

Sam frowned, giving Annalys a puzzled look when he heard say she didn't have the dragonglass, "If you didn't have the dragonglass, how did you kill a White Walker?" He asked in confusion.

"The sword my father gave me," Annalys replied in a calm tone, "Lady's Wrath." She paused, an uneasy look on her face, "Sam, I saw them shatter steel axes and swords like they were glass. But Lady's Wrath..." She trailed off, waiting for Sam to piece it together.

"She's made of Valyrian steel," Sam replied, coming to the realization of what she was getting at, "How many Valyrian steel swords are left in the Seven Kingdoms?"

"Not enough," Jon replied, pausing for a moment as a disappointed look grew on his face, "The first Lord Commander in history to sacrifice the lives of sworn Brothers to save the lives of Wildlings. How's it feel to be friends with the most hated man in Castle Black?" He asked Sam and Annalys with a soft smile on his face, clearly trying to make the whole ordeal better.

"You were friends with me when I first got here. And I wasn't winning any elections back then." Sam responded before looking toward Annalys, waiting for her to respond.

"I was friends with you for years growing up back when you were the Bastard of Winterfell and I was a princess," She paused, a smile on her face, "Now, you're Lord Commander and I'm the bastard. You're still friends with me, aren't you? It's fair that I return the favor, especially after everything you've done for me."

  Jon tensed up a bit. Friends. That was an odd way to put it. They were friends when they were six until she was nine, but the last time they were at Winterfell? Could they really consider that friends?