45

LION AMONG WOLVES 
— 45. Only Ones Who Matter

  Only Ones Who Matter

Immediately after arriving at Annalys' chambers, Ghost rushed over to Jon, beginning to nudge his owner's motionless hand while whimpering. A saddened look grew on her face, realizing that even though Ghost was merely an animal, he knew exactly what was going on, "He'll have seen we didn't come. Thorne will have made it official by now. Castle Black is his." Ser Davos explained to the group, causing an angered look to grow on Annalys' face. She hated that man. She wanted him dead.

   "I don't care who's sitting at the high table. Jon was my friend, and those fuckers butchered him. Annalys is my friend and they tried to rape her. They tried to murder her. Now we return the favor." Edd explained, causing Annalys to feel uneasy as she turned to face him.

"We don't have the numbers." Ser Davos reminded Edd, shaking his head response.

"We have a direwolf and a woman who just took down four men that were twice her size with a knife and skillet." Edd pointed, gesturing his hands toward Ghost and Annalys.

"It's not enough. I didn't know Lord Commander Snow for long, but I have to believe he wouldn't have wanted his friends to die for nothing," He paused, turning his head to glance toward Annalys, "Especially a girl who he fought so hard to protect."

"If you were planning to see tomorrow, you picked the wrong room," Edd reminded Ser Davos in a cold tone, "We all die today. I say we do our best to take Thorne with us when we go."

"We need to fight, there's no doubt about that, Edd, but that doesn't mean we need to die," Annalys finally spoke up, causing the entire group to turn to her, "Not if we have help."

"Who's gonna help us?" One of the men asked, a puzzled look on his face when he heard Annalys' words.

"You're not the only ones here in the North who owe your lives to Jon Snow." Annalys reminded the group and she immediately noticed that Edd seemed to be the first to realize what she was getting at.

Edd's face washed over with realization as he turned to the Night's Watchman at his side, "Bolt the door. Don't let anyone in," He instructed, beginning to walk toward the door, "I'll be back as soon as I can."

Annalys watched as Edd left the room, closing the door behind him. She couldn't help but feel a bit nervous. What if he didn't make it in time? What if the Wildlings weren't enough?

______

   At King's Landing, in the Red Keep, Jaime stood on the balcony, looking out. He turned and looked back into Cersei's room, just before he entered it. She sat at a table, quietly sobbing over the news of Myrcella's death. In the span of not even two years, she had both Joffrey and Myrcella while her first born was nowhere to be found.