Chapter 16-Klaus POV

I knew that after Damon and Stefan and their witch and human left I wasn't going to contact Caroline about the dance. She may have been all-forgiving, but I wasn't. I didn't want her to have anything to do with me.

I believed that she was over it until Rebekah told me after I had called her that Caroline was so not over it. I had called her on the Friday of the Decade Dance, the one that I was supposed to take Caroline too.

I had no idea that she was with Caroline, but she told me that when I had called her. She came right home.

"What?" She asked, closing the door and tossing her purse to the side, carelessly.

"I just had a lovely visit from Damon and Stefan, along with Elena and their witch." I said, pouring some Bourbon in a glass and swirling it around before swallowing it back. I poured some more.

"What? How do they know you're here?" She asked sitting across from me. She grabbed a magazine and flipped through it.

"I don't know, but that's not the interesting part." I said, grabbing her attention. "They want me to call up Caroline and invite her to the dance."

Her face fell. "What?" She leaned forward. "You can't!" She exclaimed.

"Calm yourself, Rebekah. May I ask why you're so worked up over this?" I tapped my fingers against the arm of the chair.

"I was working with her today, decorating for the dance, and she let it slip that she doesn't blame you or hate you." She said. "She blames herself, and that's why she's so messed up now."

"What?" I asked confused. That didn't seem like Caroline at all.

"Yeah. It's sad, but I was watching her today, and she's gotten weaker. She tried to climb the 15-foot ladder and almost fell twice."

I couldn't help but jump a little when I heard that last bit. "And did you help her?" I questioned.

She gave me a look. "I would have if she would have fallen. It's not like she would have stayed dead forever, Nik. She'd come back. She has once already." She snapped, leaning back and folding her arms.

I sat back and looked at the ground. I heard Rebekah sigh and get up.  "I need to get ready for the dance now. Are you taking her?"

"No." Was my final answer. Rebekah just shook her head and walked out. I decided to make myself scarce when she was waiting for Damon, because I knew he'd question why I wasn't talking to Caroline. 

Just a little after seven, I heard the door close and I looked out the window in my room. I saw Rebekah getting in the car with Damon. To my surprise, he actually opened the door for her. I watched until they pulled away, wondering what Caroline was doing right now. 

I didn't really want to do anything tonight, because I kept thinking about Caroline. That night kept replaying in my head, over and over again. I knew it was my fault, not hers. So why was she blaming herself? Part of me believed it was because she thought that I had left her to die.