Chapter 14

I needed to talk to Elena and Bonnie about what I had seen the other day while leaving the school. I wasn't sure how they would react, but I needed advice. So this morning, before school, I found them both with Stefan outside.

"Can I talk to you guys for a minute?" I asked, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear nervously, standing there.

"Sure." Elena and Bonnie hopped off the picnic table and walked over beside me. "What's up?" Elena asked.

"So, the last week, and don't say anything yet or judge me, but I was leaving the school late and I got into my car. Well, when I looked in the rearview mirror, I saw, I swear I saw Klaus standing behind my car. I didn't think it was real but it felt real, so I got out and looked." I said, searching their faces.

The gave each other looks before Elena said something. "And was he there?" She asked me as if I was four.

"No." I mumbled, crossing my arms.

"You must have been really tired, Care." Bonnie said. "It was late, and you were there for a long time. You must have been seeing things." Elena looked at Bonnie and shook her head.

"Bonnie's right. Maybe you just wanted to see him." She said slowly, as if trying not to upset me.

"Well, okay then. Thanks." I said, turning and walking into the school. I knew this week would go by slowly.

                                                                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today was Friday, day of the dance. I was just finishing putting my books in my locker when I sensed someone behind me. I turned, and Rebekah was standing there.

"Uh, hi?" I asked, closing my locker door and turning to face her.

"Do you need any help with the rest of the decorations?" She asked, looking unsure. I was grateful for her offer, but I shook my head no anyway. 

"I'm almost done." I said, turning to walk away, but she grabbed my arm, making me turn around.

"I want to talk to you." She pleaded. "Let me help." She insisted. I looked at her, finally deciding to nod my head.

"Okay," I said, and we walked to the gym. Rebekah began making small talk on our way, and we passed Elena and Stefan and Bonnie. I turned my head back when we passed them, looking back. They all were looking at us.

I hadn't really been talking to any of them. I didn't really have the time, patience, or energy to hear their lectures and opinions, so I always made excuses why I never talked to them anymore.

We walked in the gym and closed the door behind us, like I always do. "You can start with that box right there." I said to her, pointing to the box that was sitting on top of the table that would be used for refreshments. She opened it and began setting stuff out while I grabbed the streamers to hang around the lights and walked to the ladder.