Chapter 1

After the blowup with Klaus, I realized the beatiful drawing he'd done of me was gone. I was a little surprised he would take it. I really loved it.

Bonnie's mom was still sick the next day, but Bonnie came to school anyway.

"So, is she going to be ok?" I asked her when I saw her get out of her little black car.

She shrugged. "The spell took a lot out of her, like Gram. I just hope she doesn't die." She looked off into the distance.

"You can always stay with me and my mom." I offered, giving her a hug. She nodded and leaned in.

"Have you heard anything about Elena?" She asked me, searching the school grounds.

I shook my head. "Not since you snapped at her. Well, I snapped at her."

"I hope she knows I was just stressed about the spell and my mom's energy getting drained. She knows I didn't mean it." She looked at me. "She does, doesn't she?"

"Of course, Bonnie! You would never do anything to hurt her. She knows that." I said just as the bell rang.

"Sit by me in History. We have a lot to talk about." I told her, walking towards the building. She nodded and waved.

Science, Government, AP Literature, and lunch were over, and I had yet to see Elena. I was sitting in history class, mindlessly doodling in my notebook when I felt Bonnie sit down across from me.

"I can't find Elena." She mumbled, crossing her arms.

"She probably stayed home. After all, her life was threatened by an Original, and her ex-boyfriend who's still madly in love with her and his brother just stood there and watched." I flipped to a clean page in my notebook and looked at Bonnie.

"I need to ask you something. When I was asked to occupy Klaus, what exactly was your guys' plan?"

She met my eyes. "We were going to kill them. All of them."

My jaw dropped. "Bonnie!" I exclaimed. "Klaus thinks I tried to kill him! By myself!" I sat back in my seat with a huff.

"I know it was wrong to include you, but we had to do something, and Klaus is totally smitten with you-"

"He is not  'smitten' with me, or whatever." I glared at her, and she only shrugged and opened her history book.

"So he just really likes you. Be grateful. With Tyler gone..." She bit her lip and looked at me.

Tyler was still "conditioning" himself, or whatever, so that he could control when he changed in order to be with me, but he's been gone for two months, and I don't think he's coming back.

"Alright, class. Open your books and turn to page 223. We'll begin the chapter on the Civil War." Said Mr. Saltzman. He saw me and gave me a pitied look. Now that he was living with Elena, he knew everything that was going on with people. Everything.

"Ah, Mr. Derricks, can you begin us with the first paragraph?" He pointed to Joe Derricks, who was slumped over in his seat, sleeping. Stifled laughter filled the air. Mr. Saltzman, whom I called Alaric when it was past school hours, simply walked over to Joe's desk and picked up his book, and dropping it so it hit the top of the desk with a bang. Joe shot straight up.

"Ah, thank you for joining us, Joe! Now, would you prefer to enlighten us on the consuming dream you were just having, or would you like to educate us on the beginning of the Civil War?" Mr. Saltzman asked, amused.

"Uh, sure? The second one." Said Joe, picking his book up and flipping to the right page. He began reading.

I glanced at Bonnie, who was occupied by her book. I sighed. This was going to be a long week.