Chapter 8

I was beginning to question my relationship with Klaus when we had been dating for a month.

"So, how are you and Stefan?" I had asked Elena, both of us standing by my locker.

She shifted from one foot to the other, a sign that it was not going well.

"You don't have to talk about it," I promised her, and she seemed relieved. The last bell rang of the day, and doors opened and students poured out into a stream in the hallway, faces blurring. It was Friday, and everyone was excited to go party. Except me. Klaus was busy this weekend, so it was me alone.

"So, what are you doing this weekend?" I asked her, both of us pushing the door open and walking out in the cold end-of-October chill. Halloween was Sunday night.

She shrugged, avoiding my eyes. She was acting really strangely, like she was hiding something.

"Are you okay?" I asked as we reached my car.

"I'm fine. Have a great weekend!" She chirped, walking away fast. I frowned. She was acting weird, but I thought little of it. She was probably done with Stefan and not wanting to talk about. I shrugged and got into my car and drove home.

"Caroline? Is that you?" I heard when I threw my keys on the table beside the door.

"No, I'm a robber." I replied, walking into the kitchen. My mom was standing at the table, clipping her belt on.

"I have to jet out real quick, but I'll be back around 6. I think we should have a girls night. What do you think?" She smiled, pinning her badge on her shirt.

I looked behind me. Was she talking to me? A girls night? Together? "Uh, sure. Need me to go get anything?" I said, motioning to the door.

"No!" She said a little too excitedly. "Just stay here and choose some movies or something. I need to go. See you later!" She called, walking out the door. That was really strange, I thought, getting something to drink.

I sat my glass of water down on the table and pulled my phone out of my pocket. I dialed Klaus's number, but it just rang and rang. Probably lost it, I thought, putting it beside my water.

I sat down and pulled out my homework. Finishing it relaxed my mind and I actually thought about other things than the weirdness of today. When I was done, I slipped it back into the folder and tossed my backpack on the stairs.

I sighed. My mother wouldn't be home for another two hours. I decided to call Elena, because Bonnie went with her mother somewhere.

"Hello?" She answered.

"Hey! It's me." I said, pacing the room. "What are you doing?"

There was a muffled sound, and I could faintly hear voices. Then she came back on. "Hey, listen, I'm entering a dead zone. Can I call you back later?" She asked, but hung up before I could reply.