Chapter 5

Pic of Klaus at the bar when Caroline is talking to Matt. ----------------------------->

My feet hurt. I'd slept in my heels all night, and my toes were screaming practically when I took the shoes off.

I limped to the bathroom and glanced at myself in the mirror, and tried not to scream. I'd forgotten to take my makeup off and my eyes were rimmed in black. Oh well, I said to myself, taking a Q-Tip and wiping down the perimeter of my eyes. There! Now my makeup looked smoky, not messy. My hair was curly still, so I kept it down.

Since today was Saturday, I really didn't want to get dressed right away, so I put on a pair of capri sweats and pulled a worn V-neck shirt on. There! My Saturday morning attire.

While I was in the bathroom, I heard my phone beep. I walked over to it and pulled the charger from it. 1 Missed Call: Klaus. I shook my head. He called me? Why? I pressed my thumb into the screen, calling him back. I was immediately sent to voicemail. I would later learn that Rebekah had pushed Ignore.

I scoffed and stuffed my phone in my pocket and walked outside. There was nothing to do so I grabbed my iPod and started to run down the street. There was a misty rain falling, cooling my face. I ran to the edge of town ran through the trees a little while. I almost would have missed it if I wasn't looking around. There was a little dirt path, throught the trees. Curiousity got the best of me, and I followed it, brusing aside the prickly bushes and thick limbs until I came unto a clearing.

There, standing in the middle of the clearing, was a massive white oak tree. The bushed and bulky tree branches had secluded this spot for a long time. My mind flashed me back...Where had I heard white oak before?...I thought, and decided to call Elena.

"Hello?" She picked up on the first ring.

"Hey, it's Caroline. What's a white oak tree?" I asked, circling the tree, running my hands over the smooth bark.

There was a pause. "Why?" She asked, sidestepping the question.

"Well, I've heard it somewhere before, and I was just wondering." I stood and looked into the vast branches.

"Caroline, is there something you're not telling me?" She asked a little too loudly.

"Elena, relax. So have you heard of it?"

"Yeah...it's the only thing that can kill an Original...Klaus." She answered slowly.

"Great." I felt my face tightening. "Well, listen, I gotta go." I hung up before she could reply and shoved my phone in my pocket, running home trying to remember where this place was. I didn't stop running until I got home.

When I got inside, I ripped the headphones from my ears and grabbing a bottle of water from the refrigerator before settling on the couch. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and dialed Klaus's number.

"Hello?" His voice filled the other end.

"It's Caroline." I said, pointing out the obvious.

"Yes?" He acted cool, not even mentioning last night.

"I have a question." I said, not wanting to avoid the subject.

"Caroline I really don't have time-" He started. There was a muffled sound on the other end, and he came back on. "I need to go." The line went dead.

What was that all about? I sat my phone down on the kitchen table and went to the freezer to get some blood. My phone rang just as I finished.

Damon. "Hello?" I asked, tossing the plastic in the trashcan.