Crying and cookies

Start from the beginning

"What are you doing?"  I asked him, anger in my voice.  I stood next to him and grabbed his hands to make him look at me. 

"Makes me feel better."  He mumbled, shoving another pill bottle into his bag.  I grabbed one of the bottles to read the label.  Antidepressants. 

"You shouldn't have taken so many."  I said, getting worried for him again. 

"I'm fine."  He said.  I sighed, not wanting to upset him more. 

"So...you have a cat?"  I asked, trying to change the topic. 

"Her names Luna.  She's about year old.  You can pet her."  Answered Virgil, while returning to his bag.  

I quickly pulled out my phone to text my Mom. 

Me - Hey, is it okay if a school friend comes over tonight and spends the night?

Mom - On a school night?

Me - Please. He needs a place to stay for the night

Mom - Fine but you have a lot of explaining to do when you get home.

Me - He has a cat, can he bring his cat?

Mom - A cat?!

Me - I'll explain why when I get home.  Pleassseeee

Mom - Fine, keep the cat away from Zeus.

Me - Okay we'll be home in like 10 mins

Mom - Okay honey

I turned off my phone to see Virgil looking at me.  He had wiped all his makeup off.  He looked very pretty without it. 

"My Mom said it's okay for you to spend the night tonight, and you can bring your cat.  But I do have a dog so we'll have to keep her away from him."  I told him. 

"Okay."  Virgil mumbled.  He picked Luna up and zipped up his hoodie so that Luna was tucked inside it with her head peeking out of the top. 

I grabbed his hand again and headed out of his room.  We passed his mom while heading for the front door. 

I let go of Virgil's hand when we reached my car.  I got into the drivers seat and moved all my stuff so Virgil could sit down. 

"Thank you."  He mumbled again. 

"Your welcome.  I wouldn't know what I'd do if you got hurt.  I should've come sooner."  I told him, starting the car up. 

"It's okay Roman."  He said.  "You still care. You still showed up for me.  Your still helping me get away for the night." 

He slid his hand into mine.  I looked at our intertwined fingers in shock.  I hadn't expected Virgil to be brave enough to do something like that.  I held his hand reassuringly the entire car ride back to my house. 

I felt him stiffen up as we pulled into my driveway.  My house was very different from his.  I was a lot bigger and a lot prettier. 

"It's going to be okay."  I told him reassuringly.  He nodded.  I got out of the car and grabbed my bookbag.  I quickly headed over to Virgil to help him.  He seemed to be a little weak and out of it still. 

I held his hand as we walked into the house.  I didn't call out to my mom to say we were hear.  I just quickly ushered Virgil up the stairs and into my room before we could be bombarded by her or Zeus. 

Virgil stopped as I shut the door and looked around my room.  It was very different compared to his.  Mine was big and bright.  I had a queen sized beg in the middle of the room.  Lots of theater and sports things were littered across the rooms.