7. Singular

Max went to see the chief inspector in his office.

"How did it go?" inspector Kennedy asked.

"Ah," replied Max, I've yet done nothing but I'll like to speak with the accused officially. I know how sure you are of your conclusion of the crime and the criminal, but could you please give me the benefit of doubt to interrogate the suspect?"

"That should be the duty of the court at the trial, but if you wish I'll authorize you to speak with him in the interrogation room. But I promise you he's either going to keep denying and lying, or he'll offer you nothing but silence. Go on, satisfy your own curiosity."

"Thanks, chief," Max bowed and left the office.

********

They were seated at the dimly lit interrogation room. Max faced the slim built suspect seated opposite him, a rectangular table stretching between them, and he weighed the boy.

The boy seemed uneasy, at the same time placid. He had the composure of a confident man, yet when he spoke, nervousness and apprehension was under his breath.

"I know you all think I am a murderer now," he said breaking the silence. "I'm gonna hang, ain't I?

"That's if you are truly a murderer," Max answered."

"Is that not what you all think? They already told me whatever I say may be used against me in the court of law. You are here because you want to get something from me, perhaps manipulate me to admit guilt of the crime. I know what you detectives do."

"How do you know I'm a detective?"

"Do not ask me."

"It would be helpful for us both if we don't get on each others nerves."

"Suit yourself," Jason said with a fling of his arm.

Max could perceive the apprehension masked beneath the boy's cockiness.

"You are Jason Murvelli, only child of Mr. Anthony Murvelli?"

"Right," Jason nodded.

"You are aware that you stand accused of murdering your own father. Have you anything to say for yourself?"

"I did not kill him."

"Then who did?"

"I do not know."

I've been told what happened and I've read your statement but I also want to hear everything from you lips."

"Everything? Isn't the most important thing the identity of the actual criminal? But unfortunately I cannot help you with that. I know nothing save for the fact I would never kill my own father."

Max took his time before speaking again. "Well, would you be so good as to relate to me the series of events since the day you came home up till this morning?"

"Very well then, I will."

Max got out his notepad ready to jot down.

Jason leaned back in his chair, placed his cuffed hands on the table and turned his gaze away from the detective before speaking.