2. Decisions

It was Monday morning. It was still early into the first semester but the college was already buzzing with students.

Macpherson University was an esteemed and large private university situated in the heart of Lagos, with several faculties and departments. The students were mostly children or relatives of the upper and middle class of the society and it reflected in their lifestyle. One could easily see the pride and self assuredness with which they walked with their heads held high. That is, for the ones who walked to school. One could see that the most expensive cars in the school premises were ridden not by the lecturers but by the students.

Jason was given a white Mercedes Benz CLK350 2017 version by his father as a birthday present in his first year at the institution and four months later he had wrecked the car, smashing it headlong into a concrete electric pole as a result of overspeeding, it was a miracle he survived with only a broken arm and a few scratches.

Mr. Murvelli had vowed never to get Jason another car until he gets his own life and make his own money.

"I won't be the cause of your death!" Mr. Murvelli had scolded his son. "If you would be so wreckless with something so valuable I gave to you as a gift, you will get nothing else from me until you earn it."

Jason meandered slowly through the departmental block and out of the faculty. There was a lecture due within the next fifteen minutes but clearly he had had enough lecture at the professor's office for one morning, he thought. As he slowly made his way towards the school gate, a sparkling blue sedan coming from the gate pulled up beside him. The windscreen was wound down and Jason looked in.

"Gabriel," Jason muttered under his breath in a depressed manner.

Gabriel And Jason were coursemates and often hung out together at parties. He was the third child and first son of Dr. Charles Morrison, a member of the state house of assembly.

"Are you leaving the campus already?" asked Gabriel.

"Well, I don't feel up for any more lectures today. I'm just returning from Professor Ignatus's office."

Gabriel thought for a while and said: "Come on man, hop in."

Jason opened the car and entered. There was a slim light skinned girl sitting in front with Gabriel so Jason sat behind.

"This is my beautiful girlfriend, Anne who I've been telling you about," said Gabriel. "Anne, meet my buddy, Jason."

Jason winked and they said their pleasantries.

"I'm going to drop her at her department," Gabriel continued as he drove on, "while you and I are going somewhere nice. We need to shake off this mood I can see all over you."

"Whatever," Jason acquiesced, looking out the window.

Forty-five munites later the pair were seated at a  bar at the middle of the town. A few empty bottles laid before them on the table. Gabriel was looking into his phone and tapping away while Jason was lost in thought.

By far, Jason was thinking, my dad has more wealth than these other kids around. Why should he be so hard on me? The other kids have all they want at their fingertips and get whatever they so desire. I know a lot of them do not bother about their grades and their parents do not give them hell about it too, I presume. Like, who cares about  school and grades when one already has all the money and power one could ever want?

"I can see your mood hasn't gotten any better," remarked Gabriel, breaking Jason out of his reverie. "Can you tell me what all this is really about, bro?"

Jason removed the hand he had to his jaw and placed it on the table. He looked at Gabriel, then at the bottles, then he looked into the distance, shrugged and said, "well, as you can see, I really have a lot on my mind. For starters, I'm really in need of money, Gabe. I mean a huge sum."