6. Advocate

Detective Max Kellington left the Chief inspector and went to find the girl that had come crying into the police department. He found her being ushered out of the place where apprehended suspects were detained. As if on cue, she fell into Max's arms.

"They wouldn't let me speak to him," she sobbed. "Oh my Jason surely isn't a murderer. He so doesn't deserve this. Oh my God, please, you have to help him!"

"Perhaps my dear," Max replied softly.

"I can assure you he wouldn't have hurt a fly!" She cried and hit her fist against Max's chest again and again. "You all are so wrong."

"I hope you're right."

She didn't answer and sobbed bitterly. Her exotic artificial eye lashes were wet with tears which were already running down her cheeks. "Can we sit down and talk for a bit?" Max asked.
She sniffled and wiped her face with a hand. She walked to a chair closeby and sat down.

Max sat beside her. He went into his pocket and brought out his identity card, flashing it in the girl's face.

"Now," Max began, "I'll need you to calm your nerves and talk to me as a friend."

"I wish you were. Then you'll know my instincts are always right." she was wiping her face with a handkerchief which she had taken from her bag.

"That means we're on the same page. I'm detective Max Kellington, and you are?"

"Michelle Eze, Jason's girlfriend."

"And how much do you know your boyfriend?

"I've known him for a little over two years now. We met at a birthday party his friend was hosting during our second year in school. We talked and he may have taken an instant liking to me cause he kept asking me out after that. I never wanted to date him because I didn't like the kind of friends he keeps. Bunch of carefree, arrogant and spoilt kids of the upper class, all looking for one night stands. But I later got to know he was different. True he was spoilt and absolutely extravagant, but he, I could see, had a good heart and cared very much about me. One day I got into trouble with some boys because I was snubbing then. Jason came to my rescue and stood up for me. He almost got into a fight that day and was ready to fight for me, but I told him we should go. I gradually fell in love with him and we started dating last year."

All this while, Max listened attentively.

"If I heard you correctly, miss Eze, you said he was ready to go into a fight. Earlier you said he couldn't have hurt a fly. What makes you say this?"

"Oh, you see. Jason is very passionate about the things and people he cares about, so I've come to know. But he would never lay a hand on them no matter how angry he gets. I know I can be a pain in the ass to him sometimes. I really get under his skin and there was a time I got him so mad that I expected him to hit me I waited for a slap but it never came. He left and returned later and told me not to do that again.
"One time at the casino where he gambles, he got into a row with the cashier. The cashier accused him of cheating and so refused to pay him his winnings. They could have fought and Jason could have beat him hands down if they had gotten physical but know what he did? He left his winnings with the cashier and left the casino."

"He gambles," Max noted, scribbling something down on his notepad. "How often does he do that?"

It took Michelle a moment to answer.
"At his leisure time, I may say." she replied.

"Hmm. What do you think of his relationship with his father, the deceased?"

"From what he tells me, I don't think they were very close on a personal level but that's usual between rich businessmen and their sons."

"You don't think.. So what do you think?"

"Hah!" Michelle sighed, almost whimpering. "You detectives. The man sends Jason more than enough money for his upkeep. I think he fulfills his basic responsibility as a father. I think Jason loved his father and also tries to make him proud although he fails woefully at that, but he definitely doesn't like his step-mom."

"Hmm. How do you know that"

"You know detective, Jason keeps wishing his mum was still alive, then he would have a mother to go home to. Says the new woman had come to reap where she did not sow. They never talk on phone, I don't think they cared a thing for each other."

"Have you ever met her?"

Michelle shook her head.

"When did you last see Jason before today?"

"Sunday. Then he was supposed to come see me Monday evening but he never came. I thought something had happened until he called me that night telling me he had to go home."

"And did he tell you what happened and why he was going home?"

"No."

"That will do. Thank you for your time, Miss Eze. I have to see the suspect for myself."

**********************************

Thanks for reading this chapter... Your votes and comments will be well recieved.