Chapter 8

I find myself sneaking around the island, avoiding the cave that leads to the tunnel systems of the Unwea, as well as avoiding the trail I take to go see Morgiana

I find myself sneaking around the island, avoiding the cave that leads to the tunnel systems of the Unwea, as well as avoiding the trail I take to go see Morgiana. Instead, I make my way over to Initi, curiosity overwhelming me. She'd be hunting, and from what I remember, she was really, really good at it. I wouldn't officially "see" her for another two years in the original timeline, but because I know...

Amawa-na was the first to see her in the other timeline. She elaborated on what she knew about her, knowing that I was trying to find her. She was a One, the most powerful in the world, and I wanted to either recruit her, steal her powers, or get rid of her. Amawa-na had described what she looked like to me, but it never registered that she was the girl trying to stick up for Tamir when she didn't even know him. I didn't know she was the one that fell off the cliff.

I do know that she doesn't remember me or Tamir.

I stop moving as a thought dawns on me. I could lift the blanket over her memory. The Tribe Leaders would erase the memories of their people to keep them from asking questions and rebelling. They did some shady stuff, especially when they found the gifted among their people. They'd kill them or recruit them or wipe their memory.

Wonder where I got my options for Cressa-la from.

I say sarcastically.

Movement to my left.

An arrow flies and lands deep in the chest of a squirrel a few feet behind me, making it fall to the ground. A girl steps forward, her eyes darting to me for a moment before she walks right past me and picks up her squirrel.

"You are aware you're in Initi Territory, correct?" She says, lifting the squirrel and pulling the arrow out and hooking the dead animal to a hook on her belt. A sudden deluge of teenage emotions fill my veins and I feel giddy around her. My brain and heart know her better than she might know herself. My eyes have rested on her day in and day out for how long, now?

And still, I'm nervous.

"You are aware you don't need to close one eye while using a bow, correct?" I say back to her. She rolls he eyes and shakes her head, unamused.

"Leave before someone important finds you," she warns, putting the bow around her shoulders and moving her hair aside. My eyes flick down to her calves—no scales. Not yet, anyway. At the thought of hers, mine begin to itch beneath my pants and shoes. Initi is the only tribe that doesn't wear shoes; they claim it helps them stay silent when they walk. I think it's stupid, but to each their own. At least they don't have to paint their faces each day. "Your Tribe Leaders wouldn't be happy, either."

"Ah, they're from Revli. What are they going to do, love me to death as a punishment?"

She smirks and then suppresses it, as if she didn't want me to see that I made her laugh.

Because she doesn't.

"You're hunting alone?"

"You're still talking?"