Lightning Strike

AN: Henry is from before Nora's death.

[Barry is holding a napkin to his nose. Iris comes up to him.]

"What happened and why do you have a bloody nose?" Joe automatically asked.

Iris and Barry glanced at each other and responded with, "You'll see."

Iris: Who is that guy, and what is he so proud of? He only caught a mugger.

"Oh."

Barry: He's a transfer from Keystone, started a few weeks ago. Eddie Thawne.

Iris: Ohh, so that's Detective Pretty Boy.

Everyone looks at Iris, confused. She shrugs and nods towards the screen.

[Barry looks at her, confused.]

Iris: That's what my dad calls him. Says he actually keeps score when it comes to arrests. He's pretty, though.

Most people snicker whilst Iris blushes and Joe shoots her a questioning look.

Scene Switch: Farm

[Joe and Chyre pull up.]

Joe: This is the last farm on Barry's list.

Chyre: Look, I know the kid's smart but you said it yourself, sometimes he's chasing flying pigs.

Some raised eyebrows, mainly from Nora and Henry, were thrown towards Joe. Barry spoke up and placated them by saying, "To anyone not there to see what happened, it does sound impossible."

Henry and Nora were even more confused but decided to wait to ask their questions. 

Joe: Well, let's check it out anyway.

Scene Switch: Barry's Lab

[Barry walks inside, still holding a napkin to his nose. He notices the rain's leaking through the glass window. He turns on the news.]

News Reporter: I'm Linda Park, we're outside S.T.A.R. Labs despite the weather which only going to get worse. The torrential downpour has in no way affected the particle accelerator which is running smoothly according to S.T.A.R. Labs CEO, Harrison Wells.

[Barry pulls up revealing newspaper cutouts of his Nora's death, connecting it to other events. Barry looks sadly at it.]

Everyone looks at Barry in sympathy before Nora and Henry gasp in shock, "What happened?" they question.

Barry answered before anyone else could and no one corrected what he said, "A man came into the house and killed mom. He framed dad for it and he was never caught. Dad's still in Iron Heights."

Scene Switch: Farm

[Joe and Chyre are looking around with flashlights in hand. They see a car covered with a sheet. Joe lifts it up and we can see it's the car Barry described.]

"I never got to tell you that you did a good job with finding them, Barry," Joe states, much to the confusion of Nora and Henry. Why hadn't he been able to tell Barry?

Chyre: Woah.

Joe: Mardon.

[They hear gunshots and duck. Mardon tries to escape.]

Mardon: I've got a plane to catch.

Chyre: What the hell?

[Mardon shoots him. He falls. Joe shoots Mardon but misses. He gets in his plane.]

Joe: Chyre, hang in there.

[He checks Chyre's pulse and sees that he's gone. Mardon's in the sky.]

"No," Barry whispers. Everyone, other than Nora and Henry, shoot Barry a pitying look as they realize that while everything they're seeing what happened nine months ago, to Barry it had only felt like a few minutes.

Scene Switch: Barry's Lab

Linda: Wait, we're now being told to evacuate the facility. The storm may have caused a malfunction in the primary cooling system. The officials are now trying to shut down the particle accelerator but so far have been unable to regain control of the-

[The connection gets cut. Barry looks up and sees an explosion at S.T.A.R. Labs.]

Everyone's breath catches in anticipation of what was to come. Nora and Henry keep shooting worried looks at their son. They still didn't know what happened but they could piece together that it was bad based on everyone's reactions to seeing Barry.

[The explosion hits the plane and it breaks apart. Joe watches in shock.]

Oliver looked over at where Barry was and saw him tensing in anticipation as the time counted down to the lightning strike.

[Barry notices the liquid in the beakers rising, the same way it did on the night Nora died.]

"What the hell?" Everyone other than Barry questioned. Barry is silent and Iris and Felicity move to sit on either side of him while each taking one of his hands for support. Nora and Henry each look to be a second away from doing the same.

[The glass window shatters, sending electric bolts to his body. He lies unconscious, lightning coursing through his body.]

"Stop," someone, probably Oliver, commands. Everyone is silent while the process what just happened.

"How are you still alive?" Caitlin questioned. "Those chemicals, especially when mixed together should have done permanent damage, if not kill you once they got into your system. Along with how long it would have taken you to be found and gotten to a medical facility, you shouldn't be alive right now." Barry just shrugs and waits for everyone to finish gathering their thoughts before restarting the video.

Scene Switch: Hospital

[Doctors are wheeling in an unconscious Barry who is wearing an oxygen mask, he's on a gurney.]

Doctor: What happened to him?

Paramedic: He was hit by lightning.

Another Paramedic: How's he still alive?

"That's what I'm questioning," Caitlin mumbled under her breath.

[They put him on a hospital bed.]

Doctor: Go. No heartbeat. CBC Chem 24. Flatline!

"You flatlined?!" Felicity, Diggle, and Oliver questioned him. Barry just shrugged again while Iris and Joe nod with haunted looks on their faces.

"Why is everyone questioning me about what happened to me while I was unconscious? I literally woke up less than an hour before we were taken here." Some muttered apologies were thrown his way as the video started again.

[Iris comes in.]

Nurse: You can't be in here!

Iris: [crying] I'm family!

Doctor: Charge to 200. Clear!

Iris: [crying] Barry! Barry!

Barry looks over at Iris, who's fighting back tears, "I'm sorry you had to watch that." Iris can only nod as she curls into Barry for comfort.

[The doctors defibrillate him.]

Mayer D. Slayer. "The Flash 1x01 - Barry gets struck by lightning." Youtube, 3 Aug. 2017, youtube.com/watch?v=waTbiD4dIp4.