25. Turn off the damn lights

Spencer was wary of having Nara around. When at home they made sure to always have her in their sights. At school, Spencer would call Ji-Soo constantly on what Nara was doing.

It made dinner awkward. April third's dinner was salty marinated crab, and subtle japchae. Spencer usually liked marinated crab, but Nara's request for more lighting made them cranky, lack an appetite, and gave them migraines thanks to their light sensitivity. Adrian noticed, and asked for the lights to be lowered. Nara complained "I can't see, and it's gloomy." she claims.

"You're eyes are supposed to adjust to the lighting." Spencer tells her in Seoul-style Korean as they drink their barley tea. Nara huffs, and continues eating. Spencer cracks open the body of another crab with their thumbs, and scrapped out the edible innards onto their third bowl of noodles.

A yelp can be heard. "You good?" Spencer slipped back to the island. Nara begins to complain. Spencer tries to explain why the lights are so low, but Nara wouldn't listen. She was testing the head of the house's patience and it can be heard by their slipping of dialects. Nara made a redundant complaint and Spencer had enough "Could you shut up and let me explain! I said that bright lights hurt my fucking eyes, that's why the lighting is so low!" they yell.

Nara was silent after that. Spencer left the dinner table, their bowl of noodles and marinated crab left half-eaten. Adrian attempts to stand but his younger brother stops him. Ambrose stands, and goes to talk to Spencer.

"Baby." Ambrose says as he sits next to Spencer in the library. They were reading another one of Great-uncle Albert's journals. Spencer glances over at Ambrose "Sorry for yelling." they say as they flip to the next page.

"It's not me you should be apologizing to."

"I know, but I have to start somewhere. God, she's annoying."

"Then why did you take her in?"

"Don't you know the saying 'keep your friends close but your enemies closer'? Nara is just an alternative, because if Father was here instead I'd be on trial for patricide and the prosecutor would be one of his good children."

Ambrose knew what Spencer meant by 'good children'. Out of the three Ambrose was the good and gentle middle child. But out of the twenty-to-forty Fonseca children, Ambrose, Adrian and Spencer were devil children for following paths that appealed to them. The three were devil children for being different. Their father was very sexually active, and when not putting people (innocent or guilty) behind bars, he went out to find more women to carry his legacy. Either that or he would criticize Ambrose, for loving both men and women, Adrian, for not loving anyone, or Spencer, for being Spencer with the workers' overalls and short ginger hair, instead of Sua with the cherry blossom gown and long braided hair.

"Spencer, when you're ready, can you please go apologize to Nara. You have to remember that she's seven months pregnant, and stress isn't good for her or the baby." Spencer nods.

Ambrose smiles "Thank you." he gives her a kiss, and leaves to go to bed.