Please Don't Do This (Part Three)

"Damn," is the first and only word that you're able to spit out when you and Jackie walk in to the party.

William, being the only child of two extremely wealthy people, has rented out the rooftop of the Marcella Hotel for the party. The rooftop is huge, maybe one thousand feet across and all of it's space is being used, there's probably two hundred people here.

Looking through the crowd you spot a mini bar, a dj, and a huge pool.

You're in such dismay from looking around at the venue that you don't notice William approach you and Jackie. 

"Well if it isn't the beautiful Jacqueline," William says as he pulls Jackie into a hug.

"Hiya Will," Jackie responds with a giggle.

"And of course, Scarlet. How are you?" He asks you. Unlike Jackie, William keeps his distance from you.

"Good William, thanks," you quietly respond with minimal eye contact.

"Good good," he awkwardly replies. 

"So anyways," he says as he directs his attention back to Jackie. "There's drinks over there," he says, pointing towards the bar. "And food over there. Oh also, I forgot to tell everyone that there's a pool, so I've provided bathing suits, bikinis and one pieces," William looks directly at you when he mentions one pieces, both you and Jackie notice. "You'll also find towels over there," he finishes.

"Great thanks Will!" Jackie responds.

With that, William waves and walks away, you scoff as soon as he's out of earshot.

"Asshole," you comment.

"Hey, he didn't mean anything by it," Jackie says; you glare at her.

"We came here to have fun remember? Not to let stupid boys get in our way," Jackie reminds you.

"Yeah I know," you sigh.

Jackie grabs both of your hands and you groan.

"So let's go have some fun!" she exclaims.

"Ugh," is the only sound that you make as you're dragged over to the table of swimsuits.

*Three hours later*

After an excessive amount of swimming and partying together, you and Jackie have gone your separate ways. You're sprawled out on a lawn chair with a plate of doritos on your stomach eating your hunger away, while Jackie is over by the edge of the rooftop flirting with several guys; she's totally wasted.

Your hair is damp with pool water, and your cute purple swimsuit reeks of chlorine.

As you work at getting a piece of a Dorito out of your tooth, you see Jack walking in your direction. You snatch your finger out of your mouth and quickly sit up to place your plate of Doritos next to you, you finish right as he comes up to you.

"Hey," he says as he sits down in the lawn chair next to you.

"H-hey," you sheepishly respond.

"Crazy night," he laughs.

"No kidding," you laugh in return.

"So, I'm guessing you already heard," Jack says, looking at you.

"About?" You ask.

"Me and Madeline," he finishes.

"Oh, yea I did. I'm really sorry. I thought the two of you were cute together," you say as an attempt to make him feel better.

"Yeah, well I guess not," he laughs with a sideways sad smile.

"Yeah," you awkwardly reply.

Why would he come over here to talk to you about Madeline? He never  talks to you about her. Jack's voice snaps you out of your thoughts.

"So um, I was gonna go get a drink. You want anything?" He asks you, standing up.

"No, no I'm okay," you say with a small smile. "Thank you though."

"No worries. I'll see you later?" He asks.

"Yeah,"

"Okay, see ya Scarlet,"

"Bye Jack," you respond.

What was that all about? Is he actually in to you? 

You're totally in the zone and thinking when you hear collective ear piercing screaming and yelling come from behind you. 

Normally, you wouldn't care but, the screaming isn't the good kind of screaming, and it's coming over from where Jackie is. 

You jump up, your plate and doritos fall and mix into the pool water that has dripped from your swimsuit and hair.

You quickly turn around and scan the crowd for anything abnormal, only to find Jackie standing on the ledge of the rooftop.  You run over and elbow your way through the giant crowd that has formed around her.

"J, what are you doing?" you gasp once you get to her, the crowd of people behind you has gone silent.

"I'm just living Scar, I'm just living," she laughs, and then burps.

You reach your hand up to hers, the ledge is about three feet off of the rooftop.

"Jackie, I think it may be best if we head out for the night. We've got a long day tomorrow right?" You ask her, referring to your birthday.

"Yeah yeah," she says, waving you away. She stumbles and a collective gasp comes from the crowd, you jump up to catch her but she steadies herself.

"What?" she asks, laughing.

"Jackie give me your hand," you say.

"Okay," she says as she grabs your hand.

Before you have the chance to pull her down, she attempts to pull you up onto the ledge with her.

"Jackie no!" you yell as you try to pull her down. Instead of coming down, she lets go of your hand; the sudden motion causes you to stumble backwards. Thankfully, Jackie has managed to keep herself from tripping again. 

As you regain your balance and walk back over to grab her, she suddenly stops moving and looks over the edge; it's a sixteen story foot drop. 

You are right behind her, attempting to grab her and pull her down before she can do anything stupid.

"Scar, I've never felt so free," she says with an airy voice.

"Jackie, Jackie listen to me," you say but she cuts you off and turns back to you.

"It's gonna be okay Scar, everything will be okay," she says calmly, smiling down at you.

"Jackie just give me your hand," you beg as you jump up to grab her hand yet again, she pulls her hand away.

"Please don't do this," you plead. 

"Remember me," she says. 

"No!" You scream as you jump up to grab her but you're too late, all you see is Jackie disappear over the ledge.

Another collective scream comes from the crowd but all you can do is stand there, shaking, in shock.

You force yourself to jump up and look over the ledge, all you can see is Jackie's now lifeless body laying on the sidewalk, sixteen stories below you.