Chapter 35; Death Trap

Remember to read chapter 34 as this is a double update! You're welcome ;)

* * *

Tom's hand shook as he twisted the dial on the radio, waiting for it to finally catch a signal. There was only static on the other side, taunting his already tense mind. A scowl grew on his face as the connection was lost. He would have to find another spot, then. Somewhere where he'd be able to hear the news.

Alice's death was a shock to his system. He hadn't thought that Lucien would do it. Perhaps it was their biggest mistake. No one had thought Alice would die. They all relied on the fact that Lucien had wanted her. Clearly not enough.

Tom sighed again, massaging his aching temples. Alpha Lorenz entered his line of vision, his eyes were sombre and heavy. In his hand he clutched a brown flask and with a flare of his nostrils, Tom could tell that it was whiskey. Perhaps not the smartest thing to do when they had camps of warriors stationed, waiting for their signal. 

"Drink?" He extended the offering with raised eyebrows.

"Pass," Tom shook his head.

Of course, none of his men had dared to broach the topic of Alice's uncanny ability to come back to life. Thinking of that would be hopeful, and that was clearly not the way to go. Had Lucien known about it? Was that why he killed her? There was a fraction of Tom that didn't want Alice to come back, not when he knew that she would be even more broken than before. But a selfish part of him hoped that she did if only so she could tear down Lucien and his men.

But would they then have to kill her instead? Tom remembered the conversation he had with her, months before she started to accept Colden's love. She had made him swear that should she die again, he'd ensure her death. Now seeing his friend and Alpha in the state that he was, Tom wasn't sure he could do it. 

"Is Colden going to be ok?" Alpha Lorenz's question brought him back to the reality of finding a signal for the damn radio.

Tom glanced at him momentarily, before he picked up the piece of junk and moved ten metres in front, hoping that it would be the right spot. There was a brief murmur of voices before it returned back to the static.

He sighed once more, groaning at the tension that spread through his shoulders. "Would you be? If Amelia died?"

"No."

"Well, there you have it."

"Then what do we do?"

Tom cocked his head to the side, "you're an Alpha. You should be the one with the answers, with all due respect." He really wasn't in the mood for banter or normal and respectable chit chat.

"Well, you're Colden's third," he retorted. "Since his beta is dead you are the next in command, should Colden be indisposed, and since this entire party was orchestrated because of him, you should be the one leading the wolves." Lorenz took a swig of the whiskey. "Clearly we can't save her, but we can still wreck Lucien's arse. He broke a sacred law. King or not."

Tom rubbed his thumb over the dial, eyes cast towards the trees. He hated being put into the position of having to make a call. He never knew how Colden did it- decide whether to risk their men's lives or not. Death would be ever present, no matter the choice he made. It already was. After all, Alice was dead. Even if there was a chance she could come back. But did Colden know? He wasn't certain whether he did, not with the mental state his mind was in.

"I need to speak to him," Tom stepped away from the useless radio.

"In that state?" Lorenz let out a humourless chuckle, "he's in no position to give commands."