Chapter 29; bat shit crazy

Writing this chapter was a pain in the ass, I'm not gonna lie. I hit a massive writing block ever since I read All the Bright Places (which I highly recommend btw) as it's so incredibly sad and I cried my eyes out for ages lol. Ever since then I've struggled to read and write. Sorry for the wait!

* * *

A dull numbness had spread through Alice, baring down on her senses and thoughts as she struggled to distance her mind from the Alpha that had her heart and direct it to something- anything- else; the chipped walls of the diner, the pungent smell of cigarettes and bacon fat or even the rich woodsy scent that still clung to her skin. It was difficult, more so than she would have imagined.

She took a sip of the black coffee that she had ordered in the quaint diner. It reminded her of the one they had gone to when the Lycan's attacked. That time she had wanted to avoid those beasts but now, she was hoping that they'd come to find her. They had an uncanny ability to be able to follow her every step and she just hoped that they'd come here. 

Alice had travelled mindlessly over the past few days, barely stopping to hunt or rest as she put the distance between herself and Colden. He would track her, or at least try to and for that, she needed to be as far as possible, among crowds of people where her scent would be muddled with others. 

Once she had reached a small town east from the pack, Alice had stolen a few clothes from someone's backyard. Obviously, it wasn't ideal and she did feel somewhat guilty, but it's not like she could walk among the human's butt naked. And it helped to blend her scent, even if the previous owner of the clothes smelt heavily of cigarettes. 

From the corner of her eye, she noted a group of men ogling her, laughing amongst each other as they murmured bets of who would approach her. Alice sighed in annoyance, sipping on her half cold coffee. She was beginning to think that maybe Lucien wouldn't seek her out and that maybe it had all been a ploy, a mind game. Bella had told her that those were his favourites, and she knew enough from Hades' warnings to know that Lucien was unpredictable. But then again, so was she. 

A citrus scent filled her nose as the blonde male, the tallest from the group, reached her table. Alice flickered her eyes to study his face, hoping that her disinterested expression would push him away. She was surprised to find him rather good looking, for human standards, though the smell of alcohol that pulsed off him was enough to burn her sensitive nose. 

"Hello," the male rubbed the back of his neck, a sheepish grin on his face. Alice merely raised her eyebrows. He coughed to mask the awkward tension that flowed around them and met her eyes, "uh, I don't suppose you'd like to join us?"

Alice glanced at his group of friends who were hiding smirks behind their hands. Her lips turned up in a distasteful frown as she returned her gaze towards the blonde and clearly more daring male. "Sorry, but I'm not interested." 

"And what if I offered to buy you a drink?" The blonde male winked at her, though she could sense the nerves pooling out of him, the smell of his anxiety potent. Clearly, he was not used to rejection, and clearly, his friends found it funny. 

Alice sighed, wincing at the slight headache that pulsed through her temples. "I'm actually waiting for someone," the lie slipped out of her mouth with ease, "so I really am not interested."

"But_"

"She said she's not interested, jackass."