Chapter 40: The Underground City

Ruff ushered her over, his gaze darker and much more piercing than usual. Though it was always cast in the darkness of shadows, it was always brilliant and as bright as the sun's rays.

"Before you go, I must ask something of you," he said, his deep voice much thicker than usual. "It depends on you and only youthe sake of humanity. Whether or not you complete this task will determine the outcome. If everything works as planned, then humanity will have finally won. Humanity will have finally beaten the titans. Humanity... will be free."

"M—me?" Chi stammered, pointing to herself. "But, Ruff... how? I've done nothing up until this point. I can't see why the final decision will be up to me."

"But I can, and I do. Do you remember when you were theorizing of Violet's ability? Every Deviant has their own ability too, be it a very faint trait or a fully-formed ability. I am affiliated with clairvoyance of the near future."

Chi's eyes widened. "You mean, you can see the future?"

"Not quite. I cannot see; rather, I can... feel. That is how I knew where to find you in the FADE headquarters—it is a very faint magnetic pull. It's similar to the situation that if someone were to strike me, I would be able to finish the next move, because I had sensed my opponent's beforehand."

"But... I don't have an ability," Chi murmured, eyebrows knitting together. "There isn't anything special I can do."

"I'm sure there is," Ruff reassured. "You must find it in yourself, first. Aside from that, it is not of utmost importance. It is because of my ability that I feel it will be your decision to fight for humanity, or against it. The first step to eradicating the titans, though, is to do it as a whole; to do it as the Deviants. And you must be our push to make it happen—we cannot do this alone, by ourselves, but with the help and permission of a large organization."

"So what you're saying is, I need to report this to an organization—the Survey Corps—and you want me to grant 'permission' to take out the titans by ourselves? Why would we need their permission?"

"We Deviants do not know of the riches and fortune you live aboveground," Ruff murmured quietly, averting his gaze. "If you did not know already, we are stationed in the Underground City. We have only survived by stealing for the entirety of our lives, and stealing will not help us equip a thousand sets of the three-dimensional maneuver gear."

"Oh, I see. Then, it's up to whether or not I get us the proper resources to take out the titans. Is this the huge decision you were talking about, to save humanity? Because it doesn't seem all that high and mighty to me."

A half-smile appeared on Ruff's thin lips and he crossed his arms in front of his chest. "No. It is not the world-shattering decision you will make, but it is still one that will decide whether or not we move forward from our position as of now."

"Then it's not even a question," Chi simpered. "I will, without a doubt, do anything I can to move forward in the plan to save humanity. Count me in."

~~~~~

"Chi?" Alabaster called, waving to her. She leaned against the side of the barn, her head lost in the clouds. "Hurry. We promised we'd meet the others in only a few days' time. They're going to get worried if we keep holding it up any longer."

Chi snapped out of her thoughts and shook her head, remembering that she still had time to embark back to Trost. "Ah, sorry! I'm coming!" Trotting over to where her comrades stood chatting, Chi stationed herself in between the strangely silent pair of Alabaster and Clare. She glanced between the two, noticing the redness of their cheeks. Before she could open her mouth to question them on the rather peculiar situation, Levi spoke up.