chapter seventeen

Start from the beginning

There was a moment of silence. The tension kept rising. "Civilization is so fragile, Bruce," Ra's al Ghul's deep voice carried throughout the room. "Gotham is soon to be each man for himself, a more savage place."

This was getting more and more real and Jane's heart started beating faster and faster. This type of place would be a Hell on Earth. Jane wanted to get the hell off this island.

Then a woman's voice boomed throughout the empty room. "Sounds like fun." Barbara Keane came waltzing in, holding a small rectangular box. Jane eyed it, wondering what it could be. "Sure you wanna leave?"

Yes.

Jeremiah's grip on Bruce grew tighter. Jane got into a defensive mode, ready to protect Jeremiah, even though she wanted nothing more than to destroy him.

"Oh, hey, Bruce," she greeted. She glanced at Jeremiah and then Jane. "Freak. Freak's weird sister."

"Hello Barbara," Ra's al Ghul's greeted back. "I'm really glad you came."

Barbara dramatically sighed. Jane eyed her. "Bad news, baby. I'm not leaving. Gotham's in my blood. And I don't think I can let you leave either." She reached down and revealed an odd looking dagger. What an oddly specific weapon, Jane thought.

Ra's al Ghul kept his cool, being as casual as possible. "You re-forged it. Well, now."

She pulled it out, shutting the box. "You see, you say you're leaving. But I've got a feeling you're going to be back." She took off the cover, revealing the blade. All the followers got into stance, ready to fight. Jane was hesitant. Jeremiah noticed. "And I don't like looking over my shoulder."

"Need I remind you, Barbara, you've already tried using that knife." He glanced around. "And also, you're outnumbered."

"Hmm. That Demon's head is really not working out for you, huh?"

A moment later, about ten people came out with guns, shooting at the group. Jane ducked behind a pillar, then looked around it. She noticed Oswald, who was leading the group and Alfred, who looked murderous. Fighting erupted and Jane stood still, unsure what to do. She had to protect Jeremiah, but she couldn't do it anymore. She couldn't stand by any longer.

In her hands, she still held a gun, fully loaded. She had some spare ammo in her back pocket. Her heart was going crazy. But she knew what she had to do. 

Jane surveyed the area to see where she should go. Alfred and Barbara were after Ra's al Ghul and Jeremiah stood, holding on tightly to Bruce, shooting his gun out. There he is.

Jane took a deep breath and came out of her hiding place, shooting the gun at Jeremiah's foot. He yelped and looked up to see his sister glaring ferociously at him. He wasn't too surprised but he didn't expect now to be the time she betrayed him. 

"Your time's up, Jeremiah."

That moment jumbled Jeremiah up, momentarily getting distracted. Just in time for Tabitha Galavan to grab him by the neck with her whip and hold him down. Jane watched as she choked him out, getting some dark pleasure from it. 

Just as fast she had him down though, he overpowered and held her down to the floor, a knife inches from her chest. 

"Get off her!" Jane's voice boomed off the walls. She shot at him more, hitting his side. He groaned and yelped once again and threw himself off Tabitha. Jane marched towards him, ready to hurt him more. But a scream interrupted her and she turned to watch as Ra's al Ghul fell to his knees because of Bruce Wayne and Barbara Keane.

Immediately after, explosions went off and the sound made Jane's heart drop. She looked over them to watch as the beautiful bridge that stood in front of them came crashing down. Jane didn't have to look back at her brother to know he was smiling. He won.

Everyone stopped fighting and watched in horror. No one could believe this was happening. No one thought they would win.

Gotham was never going to be the same ever again.

--------------------------

An hour later, Jane found herself walking up a flight of stairs to the roof of the G.C.P.D. There was a blinding light shooting from the building that drew her here. She managed to escape Jeremiah. She had no clue where he scurried off to but she knew he would be after them again once he built himself up again. Jane felt an immense amount of guilt building up. This was happening because of her, all because she was too terrified of her brother to stop him. But she had a plan to make it right. She just had to do something before all the craziness set in. 

On the roof, Jane found the two people she was looking for: Jim Gordon and Bruce Wayne. When they heard the roof door open, both looked over at the young girl. Even though it was dark, they could see who it was. Bruce just stares at her, while Jim Gordon points a gun at her. 

She rose her arms. "I'm here in peace. I swear."

He didn't lower the gun. "How could we be sure? What are you doing here, Jane?"

She inched closer to them. "To apologize. This is happening because of me." She shook her head in shame. "I should've stopped him. Should've fought back. B-But I was scared, and now Gotham is destroyed. People are dead."

Bruce put a hand on her shoulder. Jim lowered his gun. Jane continued. "I know that doesn't excuse all I did. And, trust me, I know it's a lot. I want to fight for something good. I want to help." She turned to Bruce, who still continued to stare at her. She knew he trusted her, despite all she did to him. "We're going to find him, and we'll put an end to this. For Selina. For Gotham. For me. Jeremiah won't get away with all he's done."

ahhhh! part 1 is done!!! and jane has now switched sides, which im super pumped about. unfortunately, this was the last week i could update two times a week as i am now in school. i'm not exactly sure when part 2 will start, i might wait a week to see if they'll put up s5. i need to plan the next part out more.

also!! i wanna address something. i am so grateful for every single one of you and i hope my message last week didn't sound like i don't. i understand not everyone has something to comment, it was just a feeling i was having bc comments really do run me. i never take any of the appreciation yall give me for granted and im so honored to have amazing readers like you guys :) thank you so much!!

i'm not sure when the next update will be, but definitely soon.

again, thank you! and im so excited for part 2!