chapter fourteen

Începe de la început

That was the reason why Jane stood in the cemetery, staring at Jerome's old followers with a clown mask. Finally, after another moment of observing, Jane decided to make her presence known. She kickstarted a small motorcycle Jeremiah had told her to use and rode up to the group. The group's head had turned to her, most glaring. 

She kept the light on as she hopped off the bike and stood in front of them, trying to be as confident as she could be. 

"This affair is invitation only." A voice called out to her.

Jane didn't respond, only kept standing. That made the group laugh. Jane really didn't want to do this. 

"Well, that's alright, you're welcome to stay." The same man spoke. "But you won't be leaving." He tossed a knife in the air and caught it before throwing it at her.

Jane anticipated that and dodged it quite easily. In her bad hand, she held a megaphone. She rose it in the air and a loud noise rattled through it, making the group yelp. Then came Jeremiah pretending to be Jerome. "Why so sad, bozos? Did you think they could get rid of me so easily? " The group's ears peaked in excitement. They would easily fall for this. "Well, okay. So they did. I'm dead, but let's not dwell on negatives. I have one last party to throw." The group started laughing. Jane felt so emotionless under her mask doing all of this. "First on the list... Dig me up." The group didn't react until the second "Dig me up!" Then the group went crazy. They all were on top of each other, digging with their hands, wanting to get closer to their beloved leader.

Jane, who was supposed to leave right after, paused and stared at all the maniacs digging because a fake Jerome voice told them too. She couldn't help but think. How did her life get to this?

--------------------------

It was halfway through the plan when Jane's next instructions came. Before they did, Jane was required to sit and watch everything else go down. She watched as Jeremiah fooled poor Bruce Wayne into thinking he was going crazy and seeing Jerome everywhere. She watched as the poor young billionaire tried to reason with Jeremiah when he was convinced Jeremiah thought Jerome had taken over Bruce. 

She waited for her time. She stayed silent, and she stayed the good little girl she was supposed to be. She hide behind some tombstones, still in her clown mask and her hair all up and hidden. Even though she wanted to step in. She wanted to tell Bruce what was happening. She wanted to help him stop Jeremiah. 

But she didn't. She stayed and watched. 

Until she saw Jerome's old followers running up to the two, tearing Bruce off Jeremiah. Jane then stepped out from the shadows and joined her brother. Jeremiah was laughing hysterically at something Bruce said to him. Jane showed no emotion under her mask, just stood there next to Jeremiah like a good soldier. 

One of the followers then starting chanting. "Long life Jerome! Jerome is victorious at last!" Jane's heart dropped. That poor idiot. Jane glanced to her side to see Jeremiah's face drop and a gun get swiftly pulled out of his pocket, shooting the poor idiot in the head. Blood went scattering on both siblings' faces. Jeremiah didn't even flinch taking that man's life. It sent chills down Jane's spine. 

Jeremiah waited a moment before speaking over the now silent group. "Jerome victorious? Are you serious?" Another moment of silence. No one dared to speak. "He's dead. Haven't you been paying attention." Jeremiah swiftly took his glasses off and threw them to the ground. 

Jane handed him a napkin to wipe the blood off his face. Jeremiah accepted it before seeing his sister's bloodied mask. "Take that off. There's no use for it now."